Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tiny bugs in my pond.

Posted by bcubed 6TN (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 16, 07 at 8:52

Hi...I have a small pond with water lilies, and some bog plants in it. WE have been experiencing a severe drought this summer, and the algae bloom has been almost uncontrollable. WE would use algae fix and then flush the pond out for about 1 hour. Suddenly these tiny bugs appeared in the pond. They look like rose thrips, same size and color. Now there are literally MILLIONS of these bugs, clustering about the leaves, swimming in the pond. There is no more algae in my pond! What ARE these bugs, and are they actually beneficial? Any help with this matter is appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tiny bugs in my pond.

They could be daphnia (do an image search).

o

Daphnia if they are underwater. Aphids if they are on the plants.

o

could they be mosquito larvae?

o

I had tiny bugs eating all the leaves off my primrose creeper. That's the only thing they ate. They were about the size of a grain of rice and shiny, blue-black sort of metallac or irredescent hard shell looking. I smashed as many as I could find and very carefully sprayed the rest of the plant, being careful not to get any in the skippy filter or pond. Guess that got rid of them, because now the plant is newly leafed out and healthy looking again. Glenda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here