Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karalynn_gw

leopard frogs

KaraLynn
10 years ago

Can anyone tell me how many leopard frogs you usually get in a small pond, 11x5 foot? It seems like I have far more then my pond should be able to support, at last count I had at least 14 adults in and around the pond and who knows how many tadpoles. They seem to be constatly breeding! And they seem to have chased away all my spadefoot toads.
{{gwi:229818}}
{{gwi:229819}}

Comments (3)

• crazy4koifish
    10 years ago

Hi karalynn! BTW very nice pix of your froggies!
    There is no set rule to how many frogs you will get in any size pond...thus the saying...you build it, they will come!
    Well most of us I dont think get as many as you do at one time, but be very thankful!
    Great skeeter killers, adorable to look at, and probably means something is going very well environmentally in your area to have such a boom.
    First, year I had my pon, I have 5 wonderful leopard frogs and I hand fed them they were so friendly.
    Years after, less and less frogs, dont know why.
    This year I have like 2-3 big bull frogs and a couple small leopard frogs.
    All in all, be happy in your frogtown! They like your pond for some reason!

crazy4koifish

• garyfla_gw
    10 years ago

Hi
    have noticed the same in my two ponds over the last couple of years . huge decline in the number of cane toads and they don't seem to be getting nearly as big as they used to be!!!. HOORAY!!! Still have gazillions of Cuban tree frogs and anoles though .lol haven't seen a green anole in a couple of years though several Knight and two iguanas. So far no pythons .anacondas or moniitors . leopard frogs are WAY better than all the other things?? gary

• KaraLynn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Leopard frogs are much better then any of the invasives you've listed , Gary! Since the leopard frog population expoded in my garden I haven't seen a single cuban tree frog, maybe they chased them all away or killed them. I still see green anoles in my garden even though I have a large population of cuban anoles. I don't mind the cuban anoles anywhere near as much as I mind the cuban tree frogs. Adult cuban tree frogs make me think of zombie frogs with their pasty white copse coloring! They're the only frog I get that I can't stand to look at or touch with my bare hands.

The big female leopard in the picture above has become far too used to me. I've lost count of how many times I've nearly stepped on her when walking down my sidewalk at night. She seems to be of the opion that I'm the one who should make way for her, not the other way around. And the males seem to have a death wish with the was they hang out on the driveway at night!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County