Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Evaporation or leak?

Posted by Joecd none (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 9:36

First I would like to thank everyone for reading and putting thought into my question. I have recently put a new pond in August. The size is 10 x 20 feet. I have a 3 foot waterfall and I used the blk rubber liner meant for ponds. I have the perimeter surrounded by large boulders. I was losing about 3/4 inch of water in a 24 hr period. I have since tourn it apart two times and found 2 small holes that were formed by me laying the boulders down on my shelf witch is 8 inches below surface level. I repaired them both and can't find anymore holes but I am still losing approximately 1/8 to 3/16 of water each day. I turned off my waterfall and I'm still losing close to the same amount each day. I'm hoping u feel its from evaporation and that I'm just being to picky. I don't want to tear it apart again if it's unnecessary. Please help me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Evaporation or leak?

Joe,

If you live in a hot, dry area, I don't think 1/8 of an inch is unreasonable to lose.

One area where I lose water at least once a summer is when dirt sifts down into a fold and the water wicks up. I have just a small stream area with a flexible liner, so I don't have to look too far to find my problem. Also, damp dirt where it should be dry is a dead give-away.

Hopefully someone else can come up with better information.

Your pond sounds great.

o

Thank you

o

Windy days seem to increase evaporation.

o

I lose about 4 inches a week in summer...my water and chlorine remover bills are killers!

o

Now we are in November and I'm still losing approximately 3/16 of an inch of water each day. Is this still a reasonable amount? I still have the pond running at 100%. I shut down nothing so far. I can't see any visable leaks. Thank you for your help.

o

I would say that is normal water loss for this time of year.

o

We lose about the same amount. Various factors contribute - heat and wind being obvious - but also consider splashing from your waterfall and the plants in your pond that take up water through their roots and dissipate it into the air. Surface area plays a part in the equation as well. But to me it sounds like you you're doing fine!

o

Thank all of u for helping me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here