Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with overgrown Pond & Bog Plants

Posted by charle7 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 2, 10 at 9:39

I have neglected working with my pond plants this summer & now I am ready to get busy cleaning up and thinning out. My (I call them elephant ears) have totally taken over both ends of the pond with all kinds of other plants mixed in with them. They are 5' plus tall and I can't even pull them out. They are even coming through the stones on the outside of the pond - my pond is partially above ground. Anyway, how do I get rid of these monsters and start over with something less invasive. It's like I have a rain forest all around the pond. Help please.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with overgrown Pond & Bog Plants

Do you have fish in there? If not, you can spray the plants with Round-up herbicide to kill them. They will be easier to remove if they die back. Then you can just start over. Monsanto (the makers of round-up) claim you can use Round-up in the presence of fish, if you follow their directions. They are, of course, talking about natural pond, so I am not sure how well it would work in a liner pond.

Here is a link that might be useful: round-up for aquatic weed control

o

I don't use anything around my ponds ever since I found out (from a previous thread) that frogs and toads breathe through their skin. Even roundup can be toxic to them. Thus my yard and pond has been taken over by the weeds. I kind of like the natural look and the frogs and toads love too hide in them. It has just been to hot to hand weed (90+ with sweltering humidity) so the weeds have had their freedom in my yard this summer.

Jenny

o

Hi Charle 7 - I, have a gardening friend and we help each other out in the garden. So, here is what we did with her pond to clean it up. We drained it first, to be able to see the plant roots as it was a jungle of tangled masses- just as you mentioned.
As we drained it down, then we could see all the growth.
We had to get in the pond and pull the heavy plants up and we used large knives to cut the plants apart. That was the only way to get at the plants, they were sooooo heavy with all the roots!!!!!
It took us three hours, to get her pond in great shape.
If you can, ask a friend or two for help.
You will need it, as plants grow and multiply so fast in a pond. If , you get to clean out your pond - I would love some of the plants. Let me know ,if you would like to trade!
Good luck, tina

o

Hi Charle, Wish you luck in the entire cleaning process!
Since we are in the topic of ponds, I'd recommend getting a pond filter or some sort of uv clarifier if u are going to put fish there. It really helps the maintenance aspect of owning a pond and the good thing is that you don't need to keep buying filters because some models allow you to just clean the sponge part of the filter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here