Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
basilbirdbird

Water Hyacinth from seed???

basilbird
14 years ago

My WH is blooming for the first time ever!

I put some in the shallowest, sunniest spot about a month ago and had my first flower last weekend with three currently and one bud!

I found two seeds this morning from last week's flower. Has anyone tried to grow WH from seed? The frugal New Englander in me just *hates* spending money each Spring for what is, essentially, a weed! I'm keeping the seeds in a glass of pond water. Will they germinate over the Winter? Or hibernate until Spring? What part of the world is WH native to?

Allynn

{{gwi:229929}}

Here is a link that might be useful: My Pond Website

Comments (5)

• sdavis
    14 years ago

ahah! Now there's a 'hens teeth' project, getting seed from water hyacinth, the seed is hard to find, very vulnerable to anything that likes munching aquatic plants. Searching among a hundred plants, you might find two or three buds set viable seed.

On a pond with a thousand plants, you will be lucky to find one or two seedling plants show up, so vulnerable are the seed to anything that would nibble such a tasty tiny little morsels, a brief snack for a tintsy fish, snail or tadpole

It juuust might be a tad easier to find neat compact new plants for a buck or so apiece on ebay, than to raise them from seed, cultivate them indoors overwinter.

With Water Hyacinth being one of the fastest growing plants capable of multiplying x1000 in a Summer, extremely easy to plant and to weed in an ornamental pond, providing the most efficient water improving filtration properties possible, you might say two or three neat compact plants will get your ornamental pond off to a flying start where you have a shortish season

The 'weed' in its native habitat is a big scruffy gnarly plant through Winter, a tangly mess of roots several feet long, more junk and faded foliage than a live plant. Something you really would not want anywhere near an ornamental pond, riddled with who knows what native pests that might hitch hike along.

For you to have a neat compact attractive plant to put out early in Summer, someone has to yank out all the outgrown tangly mess, strip off several pounds of dead foliage that has accumulated from the previous season, a mound of junk from the viable offsets, to grow those on to a compact size in clean water so you have something neat and perky to start your ponding season, soon after your last frost is safely passed.

Just on the off chance, attempts at storing and raising them from seed don't quite work out...

• sandy0225
    13 years ago

I took a pot out of the pond display, it had a lotus in it that didn't make it over winter. Well, that pot didn't have any holes in it, and I sat it aside. It rained and the pot had about an inch of water in it. I went to pour it out and saw little things sprouting in it. So i left it to see what developed. I now have a whole pot stuffed full of water hyacinths from seeds! I bet there's 100 of them.
    I didn't even know they made seeds. I pulled out a couple of them and floated them in my pond display and they grew those little floating bulbs real fast and took right off.
    Who knew?

• atokadawn
    6 years ago

Pot had soil in it? I just got many many seeds.Want to start them.

• atokadawn
    6 years ago

No instructions with them.

• KM Y
    4 years ago

Does anyone here still have water hyacinth? I’m trying to find reliable source to grow some in a jar, if that’s logical. I read that there are dwarf water hyacinth, not sure if that’s true... trying to add greens to my kitchen hopefully something that grows in just water...