Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peterkins_gw

Dogs went swimming!

peterkins
11 years ago

Hi, a few weeks ago three dogs got into my 1014 gall pond and the liner was punctured, unfortunatly I can't find the holes which are somewhere on the side near the bottom.Here in Israel liner costs about three times what it costs in the US and so far I can only find the thinner lining which I don't think is robust enough, still plenty of dogs around! (I got the last liner in the UK but postal charges rule this out now) Would it be possible to cement over the liner as suggested by local water garden, or should I go for a pre-formed pond. Peter

Comments (4)

• mckool
    11 years ago

Shalom, Peter - I've visited Israel twice - really enjoyed it.

Can you drain and dry out the pond, or have you done so?

Pictures always help in getting solutions for problems

What type of liner do you have?

Maybe use the thinner linner over the existing?

There are epxoy puddy type sticks that appear to work well - Dr Foster and Smith(?) advertise one on their web site, sure other sites have the same item, also many sites
    advertise products - Beckett Pump website has a EDPM liner repair kit - search pond leak repair on this site there are several tips from members for repairing a pond leak.

You might also visit some other forums for ponding that you can also ask for assistance - some of this forum's members also contribute to other pond forums, as well.

Todah
    McKool

• peterkins
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, McKool. Pond is drained but I can't find any holes! it is I believe a PVC liner been in about 10 years , if I could find the holes it would't be a problem if I put in a thinner liner I think the dogs or other animals which like a swim, mongooses for example, would tear it quite quickly thus I thought about a pre-fab pond or coating the liner I have with waterproof cement but I don't know if it would stick to the liner. many thanks for your reply. Peter

• mckool
    11 years ago

Shalom, wasn't sure of exactly had taken place - I'm presuming the pond drained completely, otherwise it would drain down to the holes, if the pond didn't drain, is it possible some fittings may have been loosened by the dogs, instead of them tearing holes, wich would seem more likely.

Do you have a section of liner where you could try the cement to see if it works okay.

Typically rocks on the pond bottomn make cleaning harder, but if the rocks/stones are cemented in place it would make a hard solid bottom, maybe a bit more tedious to clean, but not as subject to damage from the critters?

If I think of anything else, I'll post it.

Todah

• User
    11 years ago

Peter,
    Get the preformed pond.
    Any money you spend on trying to fix a liner will be for nothing if the dogs go swimming again.
    The pre formed are alot stronger and harder to destroy.
    They usually have a 50 year life span.
    And you have to consider all the expense and emotional and physical work of finding the pond leaking again,
    mabey worse from the animals if you repair or replace with just a liner.
    Look around locally for a preformed, I don't think they are easy to ship.

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals