Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pond expansion completed

Posted by kmarcel (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 11, 13 at 13:15

I have been writing about my pond expansion where I seamed the two liners together, leaving the fish in the pond. I have finally completed, just needs some plantings and grass planted around the edging.

Thanks to Cliff and Joann for answering my questions through the whole process.

Below is photo of before.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pond expansion completed

Here is an after picture. The middle of the pond - narrow section is the channel where the liners were seamed. I followed the same process that Cliff and Joann did on their pond. That section is approximately an 8" height enough for fish to swim across. So far (knock wood) the water level hasn't dropped. I hold my breath every day when I look outside to see it. It went from approximately 900 to 1,000 gallons to about 1700 - 1800.

o

Here is another view from the other side.

o

Nice job and a great looking pond! I like it very much. I thought about doing the same thing two years ago but lost my nerve.
Did you do anything to create water flow and aeration in the pond addition?
Mike

o

Looks great!

o

wow!...It looks fantastic! sooo pretty...I knew you could do it!

I bet the fish love the extra swimming room.

Good luck with the pond.
Joann

o

Thanks Joann and CaraRose. Yes the fish seem quite happy. It took them an hour or so before they ventured into the new area, but now they go back and forth all the time.

Mike56, yes I have a pump and filter - it's a shelf top skimmer with pump that sits under a couple of rocks. It pumps into a waterfalls in the new pond (where there are 3 large rocks that are taller than the coping rocks). Hard to see in the photo. It's more like a fast trickle instead of a robust waterfalls. The pump is across from that under rocks around the edge.
I understand why you would lose your nerve. I thought about it for a year before even making the suggestion to my husband!. There were some stressful moments, but I'm so glad I did it.

o

Great looking pond!!!

o

Wow, that is beautiful! Nice work.

o

Beautiful pond and surroundings!

o

Thanks to all for the kind words. Of course now the temps are dropping and the fish aren't leaving the original pond and swimming in the new part.

I'm in central NY. Are everyone else's fish sitting idle at bottom of pond already? Maybe I never paid that much attention before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here