Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
renee48111

Help with Lotus if you can.

renee48111
13 years ago

Hi Everyone!

I bought 2 Lotus runners this past Spring from another forum user. "Snow White" and "Sean Bouren". I planted them up in 2 large nursery pots but did not plug up the drain holes. They took off like crazy..(see photo). The Snow White actually sent up 3 blooms in Aug.

Then a major string algae bloom in July set everything happening now into motion. I removed tons of string algae but now it set off a horrific suspended algae bloom, aka, pea soup water. High temps for 3 weeks in the 90's made it hard for me to keep up. So today I pulled the lotus out and put them in a tupperware container till I figure out what to do with them. The leaves were dying off, turning brown and yellow and have spots. Also last month my water hyacinths started rotting which I think was from the string algae. There are no insects on the plants. Lots of algae in the pots on top of the gravel though. There are lots of runners coming out the bottom....what do I do with them? The runners are all sending new leaves up. Also one of the runners broke off, stuck to a big boulder in my pond. It is still there and has 2 leaves on it. Do I just leave it in the pond? Or remove it?

The only product I added to my pond in the past month is, Micro Lift bacteria and Koi clay. No other products.

Help if you can with any of the above! This is my first attempt with growing Lotus. Thanks! Renee

{{gwi:230377}}

{{gwi:230379}}

{{gwi:230381}}

Comments (8)

• nkm56
    13 years ago

It is the time of the year that the lotus, hyacinth, and many other plants will die back. Mine look pretty much the same way yours do, and this is normal. Don't pull the leaves or stems off, just let them die back. Protect the tubers from freeze and frost during the winter, and they should take off again next spring.

I've overwintered my lotus in a shed, just keeping the soil moist, and I've also wintered outside in a lean-to plastic tent over it. Others lower the pots to the bottom of the pond. Some store them in the garage or basement. What you do kind of depends on the severity of your winters.

As for the runner, you can carefully remove it and pot it if you want, but if you leave it, I doubt it will survive the winter, if it's in a spot that freezes or gets frost.

• renee48111
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Nancy! Do you know if you can plant up all the runners coming out of the bottom of the pot? Every 6 inches or so is a set of roots and a leaf forming. I googled and googled and could not find any info. I have a greenhouse with high frequency lights and thought I would try and see if they would form a tuber.

Is breaking off the runner the same as breaking off a stem? Meaning could it drown out the tuber if I cut all those runners off coming out of the drainage holes?

Thanks again! Renee

• nkm56
    13 years ago

I don't think breaking off a runner is the same as breaking a leaf stem. If each runner coming out of the bottom of the pot has its own roots, they should be fine to plant.

• catherinet
    13 years ago

My guess is that the pot is too small and/or it needs thinning. If you have runners coming out of the pot, its probably too crowded. Are they dwarf varieties?
    Also, I wouldn't use so many rocks on top of the top.
    Have you been fertilizing them all summer? In that small a pot, you'll need to be careful about burning them with the actual fertilizer tab.
    I would get a pot that is bigger and wider.

• hardin
    13 years ago

Don't have anything to add as far as the lotus, but wanted to tell you, "Beautiful pond." That is just poetry to my soul for ideas.

• duddlydoright
    13 years ago

can i divide my lotus right now?

• catherinet
    13 years ago

Where are you located? What zone?
    I wouldn't divide them unless you're sure they are completely dormant. Its better to do it in the early spring though.

• vickz5
    13 years ago

renee i noticed you are using large tall type container- for yrs i did the same. one thing i have learned w/ lotus it is worth investing in tub type containers. i bought couple sizes of cattle watering tubs at farm supply store, very tough all-weather material. 24" round by 8-10" deep, and bit larger size about 30" round by 10-12" deep. they are holeless and provide amplee space to avoid over running sides. i fill about 1/2 to 3/4 with soil. top with water. also i do not keep my lotus directly in pond anymore... such heavy feeders i always had green pond! now i do put one tub on blocks so rim is above water line so lotus and heavy fertilized water is seperated from rest of pond water. i set other tubs around outside my pond and around yard. some older ones i drop tub to bottom of pond for winter, a few i bring into cool dark basement. good luck!