Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
These appeared over the last 2 weeks or so, I didn't buy them,

Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 25, 10 at 13:30

The small floating "stars" (about 1-2 mm diameter). Are they harmful or desirable? What are they called? Thanks,

Photobucket
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: These appeared over the last 2 weeks or so, I didn't buy them

From what I can see, those look like my FAVORITE plant, Fairy Moss, also known as azolla.

Anne

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 25, 10 at 17:56

So I should leave them alone then? They seem to proliferate pretty fast, I can see my pond getting covered with them soon. Do they drown out other plants, or are they nice team players? Thanks,

o

They have always been nice team players for me, but then I am in a much colder climate and my fish like to nibble on them so I am always wanting them to grow more. Maybe someone from zone 9 can chime in to let us know how they behave there.

Anne

o

Here in Zone 7 they are good to have especially if you get alot of sun. They help block out some of the rays and that controls algea growth. My ponds get completely covered in it and it turns a pretty red color after awhile. Mine dies back during the winter and usually returns the next year (with the exception of this past winter being the first that it did not come back but it was very cold for a very long period). I love it, so I ended up buying a cup full off of Ebay just so I could get going again. Hope this was helpful.

o

• Posted by newgen 9 Central California (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 26, 10 at 1:31

I only have 1 goldfish, so the "food" is way oversupplied for the demand. I didn't really want too many fish, but maybe a few more won't hurt.

Thanks,

o

Mine got into my pea gravel bog and multiplied like crazy, because there was nothing to eat them. Then one day in mid summer they started dying back. Too much shade or other plants used up all the nutrients in the water. I hoped it wasn't anything bad - I didn't have any other problems.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here