Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Green Algae

Posted by MamaWang2013 none (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 13:45

Hi,
My husband built me a beautiful pond about 2 months ago.
It's a 120 gallon garden pond and we have 3 Red ear sliders, 2 koi and some feeder fish in there now.
My question is.......the pond has been established for about 2 months now... The pond water looks very clear, I can see the bottom of the pond
But the bottom of the pond is pretty much covered with green algae, not the long string ones, more like a carpet look, is this normal?

Thanks

This post was edited by MamaWang2013 on Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 13:48

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Green Algae

Algae is always an issue for a pond owner. Mechanical elimination is always an option for a pond owner. However, for a small pond like yours, I would not go through the trouble or expense. One thing to remember is that algae is at the bottom of the food chain when it comes to plant life. Depending on your region you can still purchase pond plants or water lilies. I would suggest adding a few pond plants to your pond. The plants will use up the nutrients in the water first. Chemical solutions to rid algae are only a quick fix and the algae will return.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here