Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catherinet11

A reciprocating saw for dividing huge waterplants?

catherinet
10 years ago

I have to divide some lilies and water iris. They have jumped their big containers. I have pretty bad hand arthritis and its really hard for me to cut them, even with a hand saw. I've been thinking about buying a cordless reciprocating saw for this. Anyone ever use one for this kind of job?

Comments (6)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

I was just looking for something for the same reason. I tried to lift a couple and they were so heavy I couldn't keep hold of them. I'll keep looking though. I have always used a buck knife. Not sure what I will find. Maybe an electric knife will do it. My hands are just not large enough to use a lot of the power tools out there. It is very frustrating.

• squirelette
    10 years ago

I bought a Dewalt kit from home depot just for the small recip saw that came with it. It is a 12v lithium kit so the battery is a lot smaller and lighter than they use to be and the tool is quite a bit smaller. it works quite well for tubers and matted root balls but it runs through the battery pretty quick with anything woody. A lot of the big companies are coming out with tools sized for women so look around at the kits that come out for christmas.it is pricey to buy a kit for one tool but everyone needs a spare drill or 3 around the house lol

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

Thanks, since DH just destroyed most of my power tools and threw away the accessories to the Dremel, I won't have a bit of reluctance so long as they fit my hand.

• chas045
    10 years ago

I have almost every power tool (y chromosome you know) but I almost always stick with a flat bottom shovel when things get difficult. You really don't want to saw or poke thru the liner. The recripro saw really jabs forward in a surprising manner. I have sometimes lifted a big pot onto a submerged board across the pond but it is only 5' X 10'. I also find that a serrated knife will often do the trick.

The other approach for just a couple of big clumps is to find a young hulking guy to yank them up and out. Provide food or beer.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    10 years ago

When you have a plant with a tight mass of roots like a hosta you can stick two garden forks back to back in it and push the handles away from each other. You might lose a little bit but the rest comes apart very easily.

Squirelette, do you have the ID number on that kit or the saw? I tried to locate it but came up empty.

• squirelette
    10 years ago

I could probably find one but being Canadian I am betting it would not help you. I will try remember to bring them home from work and check it out. I don't know about your area but I see the reps from the big tool companies in the store most Sat. ask around I bet they would love to help you. We have Rona near by and they have started a women's line- steel toe boots, jackets, other work wear and tools I am sure they one of the chains in the states is doing the same. Now if only they could start bringing in smaller gloves. Tiny hands and large ra swellings make it really hard to find gloves that go on but don't fall off or swallow my fingers