Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
good quality check valve

Posted by pap79 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 19, 13 at 14:58

I have my skimmer with a 3000 gph pump in it out to the waterfall. I have a cheap check valve installed directly off the pump mounted vertically.

My problem is that the check valves do not do the job after a while. my waterfall tank empties back into the skimmer when I clean the skimmer.

any advise on a good brand of check valve. I use 2" pvc, the pump has a 1 1/2 inch outlet.

Thanks,

Rich

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: good quality check valve

Rather than a check valve that doesn't work properly, you could put in a vertical open pipe at some point in the horizontal pipe between the pump and the waterfall tank. The open end of this pipe should be above the surface of the waterfall tank.This allows the siphon effect you have now to be broken.

If you are using the waterfall tank as a filter this is important since gunk in that filter returning to the pond can contaminate it.

o

It just occurred to me that perhaps you plumbed it so the water enters the waterfall tank from the bottom. If that is the case, the above solution won't work. You would have to install a manual turnoff valve.

o

Thanks for responding,

Your first post really confused me. Thanks for clarifying. I have started to just shut the valve that I have in the pipe off when I turn off the pump to clean the skimmer. It's a pain but it works. I still would like to know of a good quality check valve.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here