Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbieberry

Canna Lily (African Sunset)

gardenbug
13 years ago

Last spring I put a Canna Lily in my pond where it remained all summer. Bloomed and grew nicely. It is my first Canna Lily and I know little about them. Now that September is here, I would like to know if I can remove it from the pond and place it in my garden? Will it come back next spring? Do I need to do anything special to it? Cut it back etc.? I am in Zone 8, British Columbia. I also posted this in the Canna Lily section. Thank you.

Comments (7)

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

I lived in Houston (Zone 8B) for 20 years and my cannas, rosemary bush and ginger stayed in the ground year round, never had to pull them and only one time was the rosemary affected a little by the frost.

My plants were all in the ground so I don't know if you need to remove it from the water. In Houston the water didn't usually freeze and my neighbor had WH in his pond all winter.

I now live in northern NY in the mountains (Zone 4)and we have to pull up many of the bulbs for the winter, though one caladium bulb that was forgotten last fall survived the winter to my great surprise.

Anne

• sleeplessinftwayne
    13 years ago

Canna lilies are usually put in zone 11 but people report success in overwintering them in zone 5 with a lot of protection. While Cannas can grow in water they are not a water plant. You could probably keep them in a sheltered spot in your garden if you put a heavy layer of leaves over the spot. Otherwise let them dry out and store in the pot in a cool basement.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you very much for helping me with this. I had to take them out of the pond because the raccoons were thrashing them about. Darn!

Now that I have planted my Canna in my garden, do I need to cut it back? If so, how far down to I cut it? Do I leave the nice big leaves on it?

My neighbor's canna lily comes up every year for her.

Thanks again for all you help.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    13 years ago

I've had that problem myself. Since you live in zone 8 you can expect them to grow more tuber this season. Cut away any damage and clean the tubers as well as you can. A dusting with a bulb dust might help. Apply a light top dressing of bone meal. That will help avoid some types of rot. It is hard to say if allowing the tuber to dry before planting is a good idea or not. It would depend on the amount of damage.

• Calamity_J
    13 years ago

Hey Where in BC do you live? I too have just started experimenting with callas, I have one in my bog garden, but plan to dig it up, maybe even bring it in the house if I have to, it is sooo pretty! Also I have two kinds of elephant ears, one a root and the other two are bulbs.

• gardenbug
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am in the Fraser Valley. I thought about bringing into the house but I really don't have a good place for it. Oh well, I will just leave it where it is and hope for the best. I agree, they certainly are beautiful. Oh..I love elephant ears too!

• sleeplessinftwayne
    13 years ago

Calamity, Cannas and Callas are totally different plants. If you have a Calla, it needs to have down time after it stops blooming. If it goes to seed it will likely decline. The ones grown for the indoors are usually put in cool storage in July.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!