Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Faceplate for DIY skimmer? Hy Drive pump?

Posted by tavy 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 21, 10 at 16:50

I'm wondering if anyone has used the faceplate assembly and weir flap for Easy Pro or Savio skimmers on a home made skimmer/filter. It would add about $50 to the cost but would sure look nice and professional.

I'm considering a Pondmaster HY Drive 3200 pump in my skimmer/filter. I'd love to hear opinions on it. I'll plumb the bottom drain into the skimmer then send the water off to a bog filter which spills over a rock back into the pond.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Faceplate for DIY skimmer? Hy Drive pump?

Hi there. While I cannot give you an opinion on the faceplate I do have some thoughts for you to consider. We have had a few forum members over the years who have plumbed their BD to their skimmer and wish they had not. I recall one member posting that he could not get any significant draw from the bottom while using the skimmer to skim the top. He would have to close the skimmer door to get the BD to function at any useable level. He said he wish he had plumbed the BD to it's own circuit. This stuck out in my mind when I redid my pond and went with the traditional BD and love it.

I would recommend even a retro BD thru the side of the pond wall to it's own settling chamber or a BD on the bottom for better results. Just my thoughts. Good luck with your skimmer.

o
RE: Faceplate for DIY skimmer? Hy Drive pump?

I have a Hy Drive (Danner/Pondmaster) 4000 gph pump in my skimmer and it works great. Encased in the enclosure it was too big to fit in the Savio full-size skimmer so I removed the enclosure and attached a filter screen (hard to find).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here