Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pool filter conversion to Pond filter?

Posted by renee48624 (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 13, 08 at 16:56

Hi everyone.

I did do a search before posting this question. Both on the web and this site but I still would like to hear from anyone who has done this.

I was offered a fairly new pool filter for free. (Hay****). At first I rejected it but after going into a large local pond store/business yesterday I was surprised to have them tell me to grab it, take the sand out, replace it with bio filter material, either the little round plastic pieces, or the strapping bio material and use it. They claim it works great, (one of the employees uses one) and it will keep my 2900 gallon pond clean. I did order a pond pump (4200 gph) 250 watts, which I hope will retrofit to this filter to keep my cost down? I still would use a veggie filter at the top of my waterfall. They told me I could eliminate a settling chamber, bio filter and draw directly to the pump. Any ideas or comments would be greatly appreciated.(I have a previous posting titled "new pond, needing advice") with a photo of my newly dug pond. Thanks again! Renee

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pool filter conversion to Pond filter?

After hours of searching and making phone calls, I found the answers I needed. koifishponds.com actually has an article on using a pool filter for pond use. I also found 3 others who use the hayward filter with success.

http://www.koifishponds.com/state_of_the_art_filters.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: kio fish ponds

o
RE: Pool filter conversion to Pond filter?

I have A hayward SP714 filter on my pond and would like to change the media from the little plastic filter pieces to a better or upgraded material. What would you recommend and how much material do I need.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here