Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cody_mi

my plan for overwintering trop waterlilies

cody_mi
13 years ago

this is my first year with tropical waterlilies, i've got august koch and jack wood. i don't really want to try to keep them alive in an aquarium all winter, so i did some research. i'm going to get a couple plastic shoeboxes from the dollar store. fill them half full with clean sterile sand and then dampen the sand. i'll let the lilies dry for a couple days in the house and then trim off leaves and roots and then dust with captan. i'll make a shallow depression in the sand and put the tubers in the depression and then cover with damp sphagnum moss and put the lids on the boxes. around the first part of april, provided they survived the winter, i'll put them in small pots and start them in a ten gallon aquarium until i can put them out in june. how does this sound to everyone? i can't store them in the fridge, the one in the house is too full and the small one in the garage freezes everything. i could put them under the stairs with my brugmansia. it'll be completely dark and around 60-62 degrees. my other option would be to put them in the greenhouse which is kept at 50-55 for the winter. which do you think would be the best?

tia

cody