Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyl121261

Construction of new above ground pond

sandyl
9 years ago

I'm in the process of replacing my 14 year old above ground pond. My old pond was in the same spot and was framed out of used rail road ties and sprung a leak the first of July and I was having to add a couple inches of water every couple days or so. I kept adding water when needed and waiting on the weather to cool off before I started the rebuild, I couldn't work out in 98 degree heat. I decided to make the pond a little larger then the first and ordered a 60 mil 20 x 15 pond liner and with the rebuild I started the first run with 6" x 6"s x10 with rebar hammered into the ground every couple feet and into the ground at least 18" deep and from there up I am using 4"x 6"x10s connecting them with plenty of 8 and 6 inch steel timber screws. All of the new lumber is purchased as 10 foot in length which we all know that's not the true size of lumber so I measured and cut in half the end pieces to fit. I'll reconnect the electrical service to the upper end which you can see sticking up in the picture. I have one more row of the 4 x 6x10's to install and then I'll line the inside with styrofoam before I install the pad and liner and the end caps which will be 10" wide by 10 foot long. This is a picture of where I got too this weekend on the project The pond will be around 29 inches deep when I finish it. I'll dig down several inches before I install the liner to get that depth. I got my 12 fish in a temporary set up and they are doing well and are not stressed, hope to finish the project next weekend.

Comments (4)

• sandyl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd picture of rebuild:

• User
    9 years ago

sandy,
    Wow! That is big. Is it on a hill? Did you dig it in?
    Keep posting pics with your project, I love to see the finished product.

• sandyl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes butterfly the upper end is on a small rise, my old pond set in the same spot as this rebuild is. It will be twice the size as my old pond was. I'll post finished pictures. My fish should be very happy in their new home. A couple of my fish are my original fish when I build the old pond 14 years ago.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Keep going and you'll have a pool. I would be outside from sunrise to sunset if it were 98!