Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to thin a small lotus bog?

Posted by catherinet 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 19:05

Sure isn't anything happening on the bog forum.

I have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stocktank that is sunk into the ground and filled with soil, with about 8" of water on top.

I've had a lotus in there for about 7 years. I have recently realized that I should be fertilizing it alot more than I do.
It didn't make any blossoms this year, but made a ton of aerials. Does that sound more like a fertilizer problem, or an overcrowding problem?
If it is overcrowding, how do I thin it? Can I just yank out some of the stems and hope that tubers come with it? Or should I lay on the ground and stick my hand down in the mud and feel for tubers, and pull them??

Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to thin a small lotus bog?

Overcrowding would over time end up with a tub of dead and spoiling old plants inhibiting new growth

A strong jet of water might be effective to blast the mud away from the young new tubers among the gnarly old stuff, careful not to damage the vital growing points

By feeling the shape where the tubers are, you will have fun finding two tubers with a growing part and delicately winkle them out

o
RE: How to thin a small lotus bog?

Thanks sdavis.
I hate to think we would need to empty out 300 gallons of dirt and start over. I was thinking we could just start pulling some things out, to leave room for the others.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here