Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kl85pond

Red Eared Slider and Pond help

kl85pond
15 years ago

Hello,

I was given 2 Red Eared Sliders, I had plans on building a pond for them. Its been awhile now and I have not got around to building one do to the cost being much more then I thought it would. Does anyone have any sugestions on where I could take them. I really do not want to give them to a pet store. Also I do have about a 200 or so gallon pre fab pond. I dont know what much more I would need. what would be my extra cost in getting a pond up and running for these guys if I had to do that.

Thanks,

Derek

Comments (6)

• michelle_pndlvr2
    15 years ago

Depending on what size your turtles are, but if you only have two, I think all you would need is a small pump, a couple of aquatic plants (usually about a buck or two for on bunch at the pet store), to keep the water from getting nasty, and some turtle food. I hear some people feeding theirs vegetables. Those things I mentioned don't hardly cost much, and that would be a start just to accommodate them until you can make something bigger. I would be sure to dig a hole in the ground to put in the pre fab pond in so your turtles can get in and out if they want. You can get a small pump for about $20-30 in stores. I would try ebay and see if you can find a good deal on a better or a more expensive pump.

People with turtles will be responding to this for you soon. I don't have any turtles, so I am sure I might be leaving something out. I was just extending my opinion.

Good luck and happy ponding. : )

• nkm56
    15 years ago

It's been years since I've kept RES, but considering that in my day many used to be kept in aquariums and even smaller "turtle bowls", I think your 200 gal preform will be perfectly adequate for a pair of them. You should be able to find an inexpensive pump at Lowes or Home Depot to circulate the water and even connect to a small filter if you wish. The pump will also aid in water chanages. It doesn't have to be an expensive project at all, since you already have the preform.

Definitely sink the preform into the ground so they can enter and exit. They like to bask in the sun and explore their surroundings, so allow them some space outside the pond to roam. I would recommend some kind of barrier to keep them contained, such as chicken wire, or if you want something easier on the eye, perhaps some landscaping bricks (at least two high) with a small border flowerbed on the outside to conceal it.

Check with your local watergarden society. You can often find people eager to give away divisions and cuttings from their own pond plants, plus if you decide that turtles are not for you then they should be able to help you find them a good home. There might even be a turtle rescue society in your area.

• groundbeef1
    15 years ago

Turtles also tend to wander. They will leave your pond unless you make it impossible for them to do so.

• youreit
    15 years ago

Below is a link that explains a turtle pond, from simple to more advanced features.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: Building a (turtle) pond

• johnkr
    15 years ago

Derek, I think you need to decide if you want the turtles. Like all pets, they do require a commitment.

I currently have two painted turtles that are similar to red-eared sliders. They need to bask in the sun to maintain a healthy shell. IÂve provided rocks, driftwood, and an out of water area for my turtles to bask. They often prefer to sit on top of my iris plants, which is a comical situation at times. The leaves sometime bend, causing the turtles to end up unexpecttly in the water.

They require a balanced diet. My turtles are adults and feed mostly on plants, but I also give them reptile pellets from the pet store. I provide them with spinach, dandelion leaves, watercress and a variety of vegetables and fruits. They also eat water hyacinth and water lilies. Two turtles wonÂt wipe out your pond plants, but you will have some odd shaped water lily leaves. IÂm glad the turtles enjoy the plants and they are welcome to take a few bites.

Turtles definitely require some type of filtration. I had my turtles in a kiddy pool for a few days and the water had to be changed several times. Your 200 gallon pond should be OK, but I would think about a 500 GPH pump with a prefilter containing filter pads that can be easily removed and cleaned. A smaller pump would require more water changes.

My turtles were not able to climb out of the plastic kiddy pool as long as the water level was a few inches from the top. I think your prefab would work the same way. Perhaps some rocks can be added to the pond to provide a basking area. If your pond is at ground level, the turtles will climb out and wander. Turtles are amazing climbers and diggers. They will climb a three foot wall of rocks and dig under a chicken wire fence. I use plastic fencing buried in rocks to contain my turtles. They canÂt climb over it or dig under it.

To me, the turtles are the highlight of my pond. I can watch their antics for hours. I believe the commitment is well worth the enjoyment they provide. My pond gets a number of visitors and although the fish are amusing, everyone wants to see the turtles.

• greenfeen
    14 years ago

pre-fab ponds are a PITA. if you don't set them perfectly they WILL shift. i have 4 sliders(they're my grandturtles and i only have temporary custody) ranging in size from 5 to 11". they are very smelly and water needs to be changed OFTEN!!! i framed out an enclosure and lined it with heavy plastic,one side exposed to a basking area with ground (hoping the big girl will lay eggs,my daughter may take them back and i simply MUST have some,they're too much fun)No filter necessary,i just pump out the old water and add new every 5-8 days, piece of cake!!! yes,they are EXCELLENT climbers,the big girl escaped once, we found her in the neighbor's yard three days later(just follow the trail of smashed plants.)now have area framed with lattice! go to "cheap pumps .com"for a good deal on a good pump. if you decide not to keep them,get in touch with me,i will happily give them a home,i really enjoy these critters, mine even come when called.(yeah, i know they supposedly can't here but i simply cannot believe that,mine respond to voice)good luck!!!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting