Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
troy_l

egg bound?

troy_l
13 years ago

I have a koi that I got last year from the pond center. When i got her the guy told me that it was deformed due to being in a to small of a pond for its size. The body looked normal a bit chubby with a stubby kinda tail. After I put her in the tank she went lathargic only laying on the bottom. When I put in the next koi it instantly went under the "deformed" koi. Turns out she was full of eggs. Well this year she is still holding her eggs. not sure what the problem is with her. I know there have been a couple spawns in the pond as i have a shload of goldfish and have seen a couple small koi. I never knew that either had spawned till I seen the babies. Well my female is not overly fat but you can definatly tell she is holding eggs. Is there anything I can do to get her to release them or do I just let her go? Will they absorb back into her body as she goes into winter mode?

I can't seem to find any info. All the info I am finding contradicts what another artical says. Please help me with this problem if you can...

Comments (4)

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

Got a picture? that would help a lot. If she really is egg bound and can't release her eggs, there is nothing you can do. Since koi did spawn in your pond this year and she is still holding her eggs, she may really be egg bound. Fasting her for the winter might help, but it might not. She could have a tumor too, which is also non-curable. That's the downside of female koi...they can have these health issues from time to time.

• troy_l
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am sorry for the cloudy photos. I went out today and in the cooler weather it clouded a bit. I need to do a filter cleaning as well.
    Troy
    {{gwi:232121}}

{{gwi:232122}}

{{gwi:232123}}

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

Yep....because of where the bulging is, it's definitely either egg bound or a tumor. Sadly, there is really nothing you can do. She might pass them, but it's not too likely. She looks like she may have some other issues too. It's hard to tell by the photos, but what are those white splotches on her? And are her fins raggedy at the ends? Could be something bacterial going on as well.

Can I give you a bit of unsolicited advise? Get the rocks out of the pond. Rocks harbor all sorts of decaying debris and anaerobic (bad) bacteria. A rock bottom pond is VERY high maintenance because the only healthy way to keep it is to remove the rocks yearly for a total cleaning and sludge removal. Many pond builders will try to tell you that the rocks are necessary to create a "natural ecosystem", but true koi hobbyists will tell you that a natural ecosystem is impossible to achieve in a closed, liner system. You can't duplicate nature in a liner pond. The responsibility we have as fish keepers is to keep their environment as clean and healthy as possible. That is just not possible with rocks in the bottom of the pond.

• troy_l
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the reply. The white spots on here are actually part of her pattern. That is one of the things that drew me to buying her. The tail fins are intact and look great. They are black with some clear finage on them as well that can make them look a tad ratty but they are in good shape. I talked to the pond shop yesturday and they told me to let nature take its course as there wasn't much I could do with her anyways. So I guess it is a wait and see kinda thing.

Troy