Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pcan_gw

From a field to a tropical oasis :)

pcan
10 years ago

Hi everyone, it has been a while since I have logged in here. I hope all your ponds are doing wonderful and your fish are happy :)

I put together this series of pictures I thought I would share of the yard/pond through the years. :) All from the same vantage point

July 2008
{{gwi:232153}}

Winter 2009
{{gwi:232154}}

Spring 2010
{{gwi:232155}}

Summer 2011
{{gwi:232156}}

Summer 2012
{{gwi:232157}}

Summer 2013 (5 years later) :)
{{gwi:232158}}

Comments (10)

• Mike56
    10 years ago

Very nice conversion of outside waste land to outdoor living space but I cant see your pond:-( Looks great!

• Craigger7
    10 years ago

Wow what a transformation, it just goes to show what you can do with will power and vision. Yes please submit a picture of your pond. I think I can make out a water fall in the background.

• pcan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

:) Here is the pond.

{{gwi:232160}}

• Mike56
    10 years ago

Wow! Great looking pond too. You have a real talent.

• Craigger7
    10 years ago

Very nice, is that a floating planter island in the center? I did one with water mint last year. The plant was way too evasive. I had it next to the shore line in a foot of water. Within a few months my fish could not swim under it any more for cover. The root system attached itself to my bottom gravel and spread everywhere.

• pcan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you!

Yes that is a floating planter. I used a sheet of the pink insulation foam from HD. Cut the shape with a jig saw and sanded the edges smooth. That pink foam cuts and sands much better than styro foam. I cut large holes in it for pots and small holes for bare root plants. The plants have been trial and error really. The lemon grass is planted in it bare root and wintered over fine. There is creeping jenny around the edges that has survived a winter but has not become invasive. I think the koi keep the roots trimmed too much for it to get out of control. I have tried different annuals for color like sun patients (died),purple potato vine (survived but did not thrive) and I tried a calla lily in a pot (died).

So far the creeping jenny and lemon grass are the winners. I will try to add some other things next year.

Might make a bigger island as the fish love it in the spring/fall when there is no cover.

I have it anchored over one of my pumps to hide it.

• pcan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Some more pictures :)

Waterfall
    {{gwi:183324}}

Waterfall at night
    {{gwi:232162}}

Side view
    {{gwi:183327}}

Fishies :)
    {{gwi:232163}}

Peeping toms! LOL
    {{gwi:232164}}

{{gwi:232165}}

• annedickinson
    10 years ago

Great yard and pond. I love the width of the waterfall.

Are those quail? Are they pets or wild?

Thanks for sharing.

• pcan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Pashta!

Yes they are quail and they are wild. Funny little things. I was in my office in the basement working one day and heard what sounded like dripping water behind me. I turned to see their little faces peering in the window at me LOL. They make a sound that very much sound like dripping water LOL.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Wow, what an amazing conversion! I know a lot of hard work and vision (as someone else mentioned) went into this project. I bet it feels great to sit out there and just relax :-)