Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
From a field to a tropical oasis :)

Posted by pcan 7a High Desert (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 26, 13 at 21:08

Hi everyone, it has been a while since I have logged in here. I hope all your ponds are doing wonderful and your fish are happy :)

I put together this series of pictures I thought I would share of the yard/pond through the years. :) All from the same vantage point

July 2008
 photo DSC07884.jpg

Winter 2009
 photo house-1.jpg

Spring 2010
 photo DSCN0264.jpg

Summer 2011
 photo DSCN1241.jpg

Summer 2012
 photo DSCN2600.jpg

Summer 2013 (5 years later) :)
 photo 831314_zps4de1e0af.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: From a field to a tropical oasis :)

Very nice conversion of outside waste land to outdoor living space but I cant see your pond:-( Looks great!

o

Wow what a transformation, it just goes to show what you can do with will power and vision. Yes please submit a picture of your pond. I think I can make out a water fall in the background.

o

:) Here is the pond.

photo DSCN4384_zpsf6a4b054.jpg

o

Wow! Great looking pond too. You have a real talent.

o

Very nice, is that a floating planter island in the center? I did one with water mint last year. The plant was way too evasive. I had it next to the shore line in a foot of water. Within a few months my fish could not swim under it any more for cover. The root system attached itself to my bottom gravel and spread everywhere.

o

Thank you!

Yes that is a floating planter. I used a sheet of the pink insulation foam from HD. Cut the shape with a jig saw and sanded the edges smooth. That pink foam cuts and sands much better than styro foam. I cut large holes in it for pots and small holes for bare root plants. The plants have been trial and error really. The lemon grass is planted in it bare root and wintered over fine. There is creeping jenny around the edges that has survived a winter but has not become invasive. I think the koi keep the roots trimmed too much for it to get out of control. I have tried different annuals for color like sun patients (died),purple potato vine (survived but did not thrive) and I tried a calla lily in a pot (died).

So far the creeping jenny and lemon grass are the winners. I will try to add some other things next year.

Might make a bigger island as the fish love it in the spring/fall when there is no cover.

I have it anchored over one of my pumps to hide it.

o

Some more pictures :)

Waterfall
 photo 83312_zps887aec99.jpg

Waterfall at night
 photo DSCN4045b_zps9a86c13a.jpg

Side view
 photo DSCN4408_zps4ae5a541.jpg

Fishies :)
 photo DSCN3592_zps929bab43.jpg

Peeping toms! LOL
 photo DSCN3946_zpscbd390e7.jpg

photo DSCN3947_zpsb3b02f9d.jpg

o

Great yard and pond. I love the width of the waterfall.

Are those quail? Are they pets or wild?

Thanks for sharing.

o

Thanks Pashta!

Yes they are quail and they are wild. Funny little things. I was in my office in the basement working one day and heard what sounded like dripping water behind me. I turned to see their little faces peering in the window at me LOL. They make a sound that very much sound like dripping water LOL.

o

Wow, what an amazing conversion! I know a lot of hard work and vision (as someone else mentioned) went into this project. I bet it feels great to sit out there and just relax :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here