Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pond Plants in Autumn

Posted by rams2050 MO (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 27, 13 at 23:16

Hi, all!

I have purchased many plants that are supposedly hardy to zone 4a -- pennywort, yellow floating heart, lizard's tail, marsh marigold, etc., and I would like to know if, as I suspect, their leaves turn yellow, too, as temperatures begin to cool?

If so, do I cut the leaves off the plant and leave only the roots to overwinter?

This is my first pond and nothing I have read has helped me with this question.

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pond Plants in Autumn

Hi rams, I am zone 5a. I have the same lizard tail and marigold plants in my pond since it was build 3 years ago. Actually I will be splitting most of the plants for my new pond next spring. Marigold are usually dried up by the summer heat. I do like keeping them in the pond because they are the first plant to bloom in spring. When your closing your pond for the winter, cut back the marigold and lizard tail to 2 inch stocks. Cut off anything dead. I never used the other two plants. Grasses I'll snip the top inch or so to get rid of the dead stuff. Then put the pot in the deepest part of your pond for the winter. My pond is 2 feet deep and they do well. Hope this helps.

o
RE: Pond Plants in Autumn

Thank you, Craigger7. Other plants I have are yellow floating heart, pennywort, primrose creeper, water forget-me-not, and hardy thalia. So, if you have experience with any of those I would love to hear about it.

Thanks, again!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here