Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to get rid of duck weed

Posted by jjsc44 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 28, 09 at 0:28

what is the best way to rid a pond of duck weed?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to get rid of duck weed

I had duckweed a few years ago. It all turned brown after the first fall frost. I used a pool hand skimmer (screen on a stick)to get it out.

o

• Posted by horton 6 b Ontario. (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 28, 09 at 8:18

Netting it out is one way or you can try carefully skim sucking it out with a wet/dry vac.
You don't say how big your pond is or what climate zone you are in.
The size of your pond and the climate of your area, will contribute to the control or demise in winter of the duckweed.
It sinks down in winter and reappears in the spring in some folks ponds. In mine, the winter kills it off completely.
Duckweed can be a b---er to get rid of. During the spring and summer my fish eat it and keep it under control, so I never have an over abundance of it in the pond.
"Horton"

o

I wish you could send it to me. I love Duckweed and can't keep it - my 4 goldfish eat it like candy. I bought some at a local nursery and it's all gone - your fish don't eat it?

o

'Best way' might vary from the circumstances of one pond to another.

On a dinky rockery pool, a harsh mist spray can blast duckweed over to one side where it is easier to net floating plants out.

On a larger natural pond, topping the pond up prior to heavy rain storms stands a chance of flushing the bulk of it out of an outflow

On a pond with fish, stopping feeding the fish might persuade them to turn on tasty floating plants

On a pond that has been devastated by invasive plants, emptying the pond, leaving it to bake in the sun can do a thorough job where neglected plants have become rampant

'Nuking' a pond of legacy problems can be a convenient time to remove surplus plants, debris, to reconsider choosing more appropriate aquatic plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here