Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jazzbassretired

rid x

jazzbassretired
14 years ago

Has any used rid x as a source of bacteria?

Comments (9)

• nkm56
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I have not used it personally, but I know several people who have used Rid-X in their pond, but mainly to resolve sludge issues rather than to seed a bio filter. I also know another person who used it on suspended algae and swears it worked. I don't know if it really did or if it was coincidence.

Rid-X has been discussed on this forum somewhere regarding the pros and cons. I don't know what the cons are, but I do want to say that not one person I've spoken with who used it had any negative reactions to their pond life. Fish and frogs are healthy.

• waterbug_guy
    14 years ago

Wow, David! I used to be in this pond chat years ago and haven't been for the last 6 or so. Back in the old day no one ever post that kind of sound advice on bacteria. I was kind of thinking things hadn't changed, but maybe I'm wrong.

Rid-X doesn't even work for septic tank use for the same reason David gave. Bacteria is everywhere, it will grow very fast to fill what an environment will hold. Dumping in more has no effect other than adding more waste to the pond.

The biggest con I can think of is that a ponder can kind of get used to dumping stuff into their pond trusting internet "experts" without really understand what's what. Maybe the Rid-x doesn't kill your fish, maybe the stump remover won't, maybe the iron won't, maybe the acid won't, maybe....but one day, what happened? It can be a bad habit imo.

• drh1
    14 years ago

First, let me apologize for my short but flippant remarks above. For those of you who prefer such short answers you probably wont be interested in what follows.

My rationale for not particularly recommending Rid-X is as follows:
    a.) At one time, if memory serves me correctly, Consumer Reports evaluated the use of this material in septic systems resulting in a conclusion that there was no significant difference. Also, in my state - again if memory serves me correctly - one of the state agencies attempted to evaluate the effectiveness of such treatments on the longevity of mound-type septic systems with respect to extending longevity. The result was non-conclusive, i.e., no particular statistical significant difference. However, such studies and others out there are focused on ANAEROBIC systems as exist in septic tanks...not in our ponds which are aerobic. The company specifically states in itÂs FAQ section that it has not been tested and is not recommended for aerobic systems. Of course they are focusing on waste treatment systems and not ponds. Click here for Rid-X FAQ
    b.) If you look into what is actually in the product you will find that it supposedly contains enzymes and dried bacteria specifically meant to work in an anaerobic environment. However, there is some indication that is not all that is in there. A bit of research will show you the basic patent for Rid-X. Click here for Rid-X Patent info
    One of the ingredients that appears to be present is a form of pyrophosphate to help buffer pH as well as increase metabolic activity in the anaerobic environment. Pyrophosphates are generally hydrolyzed and broken down in aerobic environments to orthophosphates...the form that is readily taken up and used by algae. It is therefore potentially possible that adding Rid-X that you might be adding phosphate to your pond although there may be formulations out there that contain no such compounds. Given that our ponds are closed or recirculating systems such compounds might prove detrimental longterm (i.e., enhancing algae growth).
    c.) As you probably know in a truly balanced and designed scientific study you run a control study in which has all the same things going on except you donÂt have compound Z added. You compare one against the other. Drug manufacturers go one step further: they have a third group in which they typically give a sugar coated pill that looks exactly like the experimental pill. The reason for this is the "placebo effect"...just the fact that a person receives a pill and is told that is very strong acting causes them to believe and actually demonstrate an improved response. We tend not to trust those studies that are funded by the companies that are marketing the product because we suspect bias in the analyses and interpretation of the data. The problem we have with adding stuff to our ponds is that we lack ANY type of reasonably controlled designed experiment. That being said there is, I suspect, a significant "placebo" effect in that IÂve paid money for this product, IÂve added it to my pond, others (with or without a connection to the product) say it works very well therefore any results I see must be due to the product IÂve added!!

If you think Rid-X will help your aerobic system by dumping in a product specifically designated to work in an anaerobic system then by all means do so and feel happy about it. I wouldnÂt add it to mine for the possible introduction of phosphates plus thatÂs not what itÂs meant to be used for. But thatÂs just me and obviously IÂm working with my own set of biases. If you feel itÂs working in your system then donÂt listen to me but above all else...Enjoy your pond!
    ÂDavid

• koijunkie
    14 years ago

I agree that in most cases, adding bacteria is unnecessary. The original poster asked if anyone had ever used the product. I have not, but I know of no harm that could come by using it. A number of people in our watergardening club have used it with no ill effects to their fish.

Also, I don't think anyone on this site considers themselves an "internet expert". We only provide our own experiences with the questions asked, and others must come to their own conclusions.

• horton
    14 years ago

Koijockey said,

"Also, I don't think anyone on this site considers themselves an "internet expert". We only provide our own experiences with the questions asked, and others must come to their own conclusions."

And well said it was!

"Horton"

• joe_09
    14 years ago

i used it a few times.i found it helps digest the the sludge in the pond and settling chamber.i also had less string algae when i used it in the spring.

• gpacker
    14 years ago

My cesspool guy said don't bother with Rid X. He said just to use cheap packets of yeast from the grocery store. He said its the same thing.

• danielhicks50
    6 years ago

Has anyone tried ride x in a swimming pool to control algae?