Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
tropical water plants

Posted by garyfla 10 Florida (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 12 at 4:38

Hi
Anybody growing either Typhonium lindleyanum ( water banana) or Lassia spinosa (unicorn flower) ?? Was curious as to the general habits of the plants ,heght ,spread, cold sensitivity. ?? Thanks gary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: tropical water plants

Hi,

I grow them both. The T. lindleyanum gets maybe 5-6' tall for me and is very banana-like it looks, but extremely cold sensitive and suffers much under 60 F, so I find it easier to start from seed each year.

The Lasia is not as attractive, kind of messy looking for lack of a better way to describe it, but much tougher. Mine has been growing for years now and has probably been hit with temps in the upper 30's.

Montrichardia linifera looks a bit like the Typhonodorum...or at least like a giant arrowhead and is much less cold sensitive. I've had it knocked back to the rhizome by frosts and it regrow in the spring.

Hope that helps, Craig

o
RE: tropical water plants

WOW
Can see that they are both going to eat up all the space in my small pool lolObviously both would have to be grown in containers. Was always impressed with the flower of the Lassia. but probably wouldn't perform in colder years. Have been experimenting with Calatheas,Marantas and Anthuriums in my marsh garden but is heavily shaded so most of the usual pond plants don't do well there
one that has surprised me is hybrid angelonia actually grows far better in water than land for me.
Anyway thanks for the info. Always fun to try new types?? gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here