Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amclea01

Excessive Pond Water Loss?

amclea01
13 years ago

In early summer I had a pond dug, it is not spring fed, but is fed by runoff. The dimensions are 100'x50'x25' deep. The ground is mostly red clay with some shale and relatively no top soil. After being dug I wanted to be sure it appeared to hold water. I decided to just use the old garden hose and let it run for a few days bringing it to 5', then monitored and it seemed fine. Since then we have only had 2 rainfalls that have put out any measurable water. The last rainfall added about 3' of water, bringing my total to about 8' of depth, but it has been about a month since that rainfall and the water has retreated back to about 5', losing every bit of water I had gained in the last rain. Is this loss excessive? I have never had a pond before so I do not know what to expect. My neighbor dug a foundation for a new building on his property last week and did not get to any moisture until about 8' deep due to the drought conditions. Should I be worried at this point? There are no signs of leakage from the base of the dam.

Hill________________Dam

###----------------//////\

####--------------//\\\\\\\

####-------------//\\\\\\\\\

#####-----------//\\\\\\\\\\\

#####----------//\\\\\\\\\\\\\

######--------//\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

################################ \\

###################################

#######################################

Comments (4)

Sponsored