Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Excessive Pond Water Loss?

Posted by amclea01 KY (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 11, 10 at 6:25

In early summer I had a pond dug, it is not spring fed, but is fed by runoff. The dimensions are 100'x50'x25' deep. The ground is mostly red clay with some shale and relatively no top soil. After being dug I wanted to be sure it appeared to hold water. I decided to just use the old garden hose and let it run for a few days bringing it to 5', then monitored and it seemed fine. Since then we have only had 2 rainfalls that have put out any measurable water. The last rainfall added about 3' of water, bringing my total to about 8' of depth, but it has been about a month since that rainfall and the water has retreated back to about 5', losing every bit of water I had gained in the last rain. Is this loss excessive? I have never had a pond before so I do not know what to expect. My neighbor dug a foundation for a new building on his property last week and did not get to any moisture until about 8' deep due to the drought conditions. Should I be worried at this point? There are no signs of leakage from the base of the dam.

Hill________________Dam
###----------------//////\
####--------------//\\\\\\\
####-------------//\\\\\\\\\
#####-----------//\\\\\\\\\\\
#####----------//\\\\\\\\\\\\\
######--------//\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
################################ \\
###################################
#######################################

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Excessive Pond Water Loss?

I'm not sure if it is excessive. When you monitored it initially, did you approximate or measure exactly for any water loss?

In a pond that large, 3' seems like a lot, but evaporation could account for a lot. Also, do you have animals visiting it that drink from it?

A few months of drought could cause that much loss, but I'm no expert.

When you dug the pond, were the bottom and sides puddled (stamped repeatedly to get rid of any air pockets in the clay, and seal it better)?

o

the bottom and sides were repeatedly compacted with a large loader, there is no evidence of the local cow population using the watering hole (although I would welcome their soil compacting.)

When I initially monitored the pond the water level was only a few feet, and I did not notice any measurable loss over a weeks period.

Since I have been monitoring the water level closely, it appears that I am losing around 1.25" per day on average. At first I though that evaporation could be the culprit, but the temp has dropped considerably and the loss rate seems to be the same.

o

Here are two good links about evaporation in the US. In the 2nd link, there is a link to the annual evaporation data for the US (data is old, but probably is not much different than now).

http://www.dynsystem.com/netstorm/docs/NWS34EvapTables.pdf
http://www.grow.arizona.edu/Grow--GrowResources.php?ResourceId=208

o

I would be looking to see if any of that rock you mentioned is poking through to the surface That can be a big problem. The hose is suspicious as well. It could easily have damaged the packed clay down to loose soil. Clay can absorb a huge amount of water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here