Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
overwintering lotus

Posted by billhiggs 6A (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 6, 12 at 9:38

I started some lotus from seed this year which have done well, I am looking for way to successfully overwinter them.

In the past I have dropped young lotus to the pond bottom (over 3 feet) without success, last year I tried overwintering youg lotus in my bright heated sunroom also without success,
Can I overwinter them in a tub of water with a fluoresecent light above in my basement? or can I overwinter them in my dark frost free unheated crawl space?

Thanks

Bill H
zone 6a

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: overwintering lotus

Bill,
The biggest challenge of overwintering indoors, in water, is that the water can become foul. While I'm not overwintering lotus, I am overwintering a tender pond plant in the basement. I was told to make frequent water changes and discard any declining/rotting material. After awhile (a month?) everything becomes balanced and the frequent water changes are no longer needed. It was recommended to keep the plant cool in a bit of light to promote a semi-dormant state. I'm going to up my success chances by adding an aquarium bubbler to oxygenate the water and, maybe, add a little peroxide.

I'll attach the thread that contains the information. About a third of the way down "Dave-in-Nova" writes about the procedure. In another post he said it was similar to the way he stored lotus.

I'm quite intrigued that you started lotus from seed. Do you have any pictures?

Gail

Here is a link that might be useful: Overwintering info lower in the thread

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here