Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mysterious appearance

Posted by tacky_gardener 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 10:16

Last week one of my koi, an 8 in beauty, disappeared...raccoon, cat, I don't know. (Netted pond to keep out predators, although I don't like the look. Haven't had a problem with predators before.) Yesterday, a thin 5 in comet emerged from a crevice on the side of my small (500 gal) pond. He seemed to have a difficult time swimming, spent a lot of time under the waterfall. He returned to his crevice a few times. He didn't eat. I decided to leave him. The other fish initially were curious, but generally left him alone. This morning he was swimming with the rest and joined them in feeding. The lower half of his tail fin is missing, but he seems much improved. I wonder where this guy came from. And! I wonder if the koi will similarly reappear, although I think he was too big to fit between the rocks. Comments?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mysterious appearance

Do you have any other gold fish? It is a miracle if you don't. Maybe someone in your neighborhood decided to quit taking care of their fish and slipped him into your pond.

o

Cooper's hawk! In a tree...looking over the pond. Beautiful bird, but probably the culprit in the disappearance of Kimono, the koi. No explanation for the appearance of the skinny comet, though. My son reminded me that there were once four comets. The first one disappeared over a year ago. I found its skeletal remains in the skimmer. I have no idea when the second one disappeared, although it was several months ago when I inventoried the fish and there were only two comets. The prodigal fish is gaining weight and looking healthy. He's probably mine and not a gift from the neighbors.

o

Coloration in comets is quite variable. Several of mine have gone through several changes. My comet population increased by seven this spring. I didn't catch a glimpse of them until they were 3 to 4 inches long and only see them when they are getting fed. They are now almost six inches. The only colors that have remained stable have been of their fins and tails.

o

I had a comet disappear for an entire summer then re-appear in the fall. I think he was injured by a bird who got one of my other comets and hid till he recovered enough to come out and hang with the other fish.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here