Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new pond owner what to do for winter

Posted by gdnh 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 10:27

Built the pond this late summer, 30 square feet, seven goldfish. Have a used pump bio filter system that seems to pour a trickle of water into the pond but keeps water clean. I tried to catch them (fish) to bring inside (before I got the pond they lived for years in large plastic tubs) but no sucsess. I doubt that water flow would continue in the winter as so measly. Should I get a de icer I hear they are very expesnibe? Other options?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new pond owner what to do for winter

Can you supply some more information? Where are you located? How deep is the pond? In ground or above? Does the trickel if water dump dirrectly into the pond or go over a falls? Maybe you can post a photo.

Mike

o

I'm in zone 5 and while I used a homemade lightbulb heater the first few years, I just run the pump all winter and use a bubbler now.

o

I live in Massachusetts very cold in winter. There is a small plastic mini pond above the main pond, the water flows through vegetation in there and falls down to the main pond as I said in a trickle.

o

gdnh, The small upper pond will likely freez near solid and stop the trickle of water. To winter fish in the pond, you need at least 24 inches of water depth and to maintain a hole in the ice to let gass exchange from the pond water.

Please review the other resent post topic, about deicer question.

o

I think you should bring your fish in. It doesn't sound like your pond can be quickly adapted for winter. Use your pond pump to lower the water in the pond so that you can catch the fish.

o

• Posted by kalevi 4 Ottawa, ON (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 13, 12 at 20:40

How deep is your pond? Is your biofilter in a plastic container or similar as it will freeze and most likely crack. If your pond is more than 2" deep, it is likely your fish will be ok for the winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here