Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
insaneblonde

Question about pond netting

InsaneBlonde
9 years ago

Good morning,

I have a question about our pond. This year our pond has been emptied twice by a grey heron so we decided to put a net on it. The only problem we have is we have two huge bullfrogs and various smaller frogs we'd like to keep and there�s no way the big guys will get through the net to get out of the water. We have an upper level pond as well but that portion of the pond has no fish, only water plants. The frogs like to hang out there sometimes too. We are not netting that area since there�s no fish.

Right now we have the net above the pond by a good 8 inches using boards and hooks. The net is raised above the water instead of in the water as they are supposed to be. We did that because we were afraid the frogs wouldn�t be able to get in and out of the pond if we placed it on the water�s surface as you are supposed to. Frankly,it looks horrible and totally takes away from the beauty of our pond. Is there a way to put the net the proper way in the water and still give the frogs access to get out of the water/in the water w/o compromising the fish's safety from the heron? We do have an overhanging ornamental evergreen next to the waterfall that hangs about 4 inches above the water's surface for a good 3 foot diameter which I would think could help shield that area of the pond from the heron (since he won�t have an easy way to stand and get to the fish there). The only idea I had was leaving an opening underneath of that for the frogs to have access. We have a large waterfall wall that connects the lower area to the upper level and the frogs love to squeeze in between those rocks, so they hang out there pretty often as well as on our lily pads. They also love to float on the water surface. I am just trying to figure out a way to keep our fish safe without chasing off the frogs, but also keeping the beauty of our pond rather than making it look like an aquatic prison cell, lol. HELP!!!!!

Thank you SO MUCH!
Angie S.

Comments (3)

• frogman4_gw
    9 years ago

My approach in keeping the Herons out of my ponds both large and small and still accommodate my bullfrogs need to forage on land and return to the water when threatened has worked for me for many years. For the smaller ponds I push small aprox. 1/4" bamboo sticks every 3-4 feet around the perimeter of the pond along the edge. Then I stretch the net over the pond leaving a 3-4" gap for the frogs to come and go until they go into hibernation in early winter at the bottom of the pond. Then I pull the steaks and use rocks to hold the net in place which helps keep leaves out till the next spring.

My large pond 16 x 19 is too large to stretch a net and since I need access to the lilies during the warm months and in the fall to cut them back I use a fido electric fence, not expensive at Tractor supply, around the pond. I employ 1/4" green tomato stakes cut 4' long pushed one foot deep. I then string the fencing around the pond wrapping around each post and continue around the pond. I one string at the top one in the middle and one 6" off the ground. This keeps raccoons and herons out but the frogs and ducks are fee to come and go. Of course I leave an access point where I can disconnect the wires to do my pond maintenance when needed. Both systems are safe and easy on the eye. It takes me maybe 0ne hour to set it up come spring once I remove the winter net.

• Sara_in_philly
    9 years ago

I used net for years, it didn't work well for my large pond.

This year I switch to fishing line. Put sticks around the pond perimeter, then run fishing line cross pond from one stick to another in every possible direction. Make sure you fishing line covers the whole pond, not leaving larger area uncovered.

After I set up the fishing line, the heron who used to fly by everyday eventually stopped coming.

Another advantage of using fishing line is you can barely see it. The disadvantage is fishing line can not block the fallen leaves.

• bulldinkie
    9 years ago

My hubby made me these covers it was piping bent to be the shape of pond,we put netting on it,pulled tight,we raised the piping so that frogs could get in & out,but I don't want big frogs in my pond,my sisternlaw caught a bullfrog with a big koi in its mouth,tail was sticking out of his mouth.Its working great.Netting is tight,covers the entire pond.