Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frankrock

plantings around my first pond

frankrock
9 years ago

I am finishing up my first pond scape/paver project and would love some help on what to plant in and around the pond. I will be moving the shed in the spring .

Comments (17)

• User
    9 years ago

frank,
    Why did you post a pic like that?
    What plants did you already buy?
    I think if I look really hard you may have bought something already/
    Doesn't it freeze where you live?
    Not a good idea to start pond plants now, if your pond will freeze in the winter.
    As far as soil plants, you really can plant anything now,
    like daylilies, grasses, but get them in soon.
    It's getting colder and you want them to root in.

• frankrock
    Original Author
    9 years ago

What do you mean why did I post a pic like that? I bought a few grasses and plants. Obviously I am not getting the water plants until the spring, however I would like help with what to plant to make it look best, I have spent a lot of time building this and want it to look professional.

• sue_ct
    9 years ago

Just a guess, but I think they are referring to a picture through a screen. The screen is in better focus than the pond and landscaping. If you opened the door/window to take the photo it would be much easier to see. It is also helpful to be able to see more clearly what you have already bought so people can suggest plants you don't already have and other plants that will go well with what you already do have.

• squirelette
    9 years ago

Wow reminds me why I don't post on this site very often. I think you did an amazing job and the potential is great for almost anything you want to do. I tend to very cottage/woodsy look but I would guess you might lean toward a more formal look based on what you have so far. I don't really know what your climate is like but sedges, taros, papyrus, cannas in the pond would would lend to a formal look. Plantings around the pond might be better addressed to a group with more local knowledge. I like weeping shapes around the edge of the pond but depends on what you are going for. Remember to leave access points throughout the plantings to get to the edge of the pond for maintenance or else you be falling into the pond trying not damage plants
    I am sure that you will get more positive feedback over the next few days

• User
    9 years ago

I would suggest you google "aquatic plants" and then have some plants growing between the rockâ¦in the pond, near pond edge etc to soften all that rock.
    Also, are you planning to put in a water feature? I think that and some lighting it will look great! Nice job!

• sue_ct
    9 years ago

By the way, I didn't mean to add criticism, just guessing at what the first poster was talking about. I think you did an awesome job so far for a first pond, and I don't even mind the shed there, its kind of cute. I don't have much to offer in the way of suggestions, because I put mine in the middle of an established garden. But a few clarifying questions do occur to me that might help you get a few more suggestions. Are you looking for plants to go in the area of the "steps" on the left hand side, like trailing type plants, or will that be a set of steps to walk up for another viewpoint? Are the plants to go where you have the current plants among the stone mulch? Are you looking for specimen plants, flowering plants or plants to spread out and cover a large amount of the rock? I would love to see more pictures when you are finished. Almost any garden plant that does well where you are could go in the area of the rock mulch. I love to see some flowers so I would probably plant some iris and some annuals like wave petunias that would provide some color between perennials. I would also cross post on the landscaping forum.

• lmjk1221
    9 years ago

It would be nice to have a clearer photo so we can see exactly what you have there. Are those steps to the left? And is that all gravel to the right? Do you want those areas planted? What kind of plants have you purchased already?

• frankrock
    Original Author
    9 years ago

ok heres a clearer picture, the steps to the left will be completed with topsoil and mulch for plantings, I am looking for plantings for the large rock are as well as the gravel area, The goal is to incorporate plantings everywhere possible so as to maximize the beauty of the pondscape that I created. I am in zone 5 . Thank you to eeveryone who has given their opinions.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Beautiful pond !!! It looks like you did a lot of hard work , now it's time to enjoy it !
    We had a pond in pa my dh built . He used a pretty Japanese maple , and I think it's called flag grass on the sides . He also used a blood grass but I don't think I have it in pictures .
    Maybe this pics will help . You did a fantastic job and shod be so proud !

{{gwi:233450}}

I wish i had better ones saved . It really was prettier in real life !

• sue_ct
    9 years ago

Wow, really great job! I can't wait to see pics with the plants in place.

• lmjk1221
    9 years ago

It's beautiful! We are in the same zone so the plants that I am going to suggest should work for you, too.

Your step area would look cool planted with a variety of sedums. You could start with taller ones at the back and work down to the ground cover variety in the front. Or you might want to do some tall ornamental grasses at the back and then work down to smaller varieties at the front. That's an area that will be a lot of fun to work with.

When you say you want plants for the large rock area, do you mean the area to the right? Or the area at the back with the larger rocks?

• cliff_and_joann
    9 years ago

Beautiful pond, Frank.
    When it gets planted it will be outstanding.
    Concentrate on low growing shrubs, (rock garden type shrubs)
    ...fill in with lots of ground cover and English ivy and vinca vine. You need to
    fill in that big gravel half circle on the left with lots of green low
    growing perennials. Around and close to the pond plant vinca vine as it
    will cascade over the rocks.
    Our pond is densely planted, in between all the perennials we plant
    annuals. A lot of the annuals are in pots -- and buried in between the
    perennials. Some perennials we have and love are purple palace, hosta
    and live forever.

I could show you picks of our densley planted pond. We planted everything
    close and tight, there is no room for weeds to grow.

This post was edited by cliff_and_joann on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 17:12

• annedickinson
    9 years ago

Frank... beautiful pond. Is your back aching from all the stone lifting? I say this because my chiropractor told me, "NO MORE ROCKS." :-)

I like plants that trail over and around the rocks like creeping jenny and there is some kind of juniper that does that too. I have some varigated grass that is pretty as a backdrop. Hen and chicks and other small succulents are fun in rocky type gardens as well as the sedums mentioned in another post.

Check out Cliff & Joann's pond. It is show-stopping fabulous.

I leave my hardy water lily in the pond all winter and it comes back every year.

Good luck. You will have a super pond next spring!

• lmjk1221
    9 years ago

I'll echo what Cliff&Joann and Pashta have said and add that you need to also consider sun vs shade. If your pond is in full sun all day, you'll need plants that can handle that exposure, especially in the rocky areas that will get especially hot. The advice to plant close together is excellent - more plants will keep the soil cooler and help hold in moisture. Also think of planting in masses - plants make a bigger statement when you have a number of them planted together as opposed to a few here and there. You have a lot of area to cover, so you have lots of room to be creative.

Annuals are wonderful for adding color to your garden all summer long. Most perennials will bloom for a few weeks and then are done for the season. If you incorporate annuals you're guaranteed lots of color, too. I love to plant impatiens right in my waterfall - tuck them between the rocks in the sides of your pond, roots in the water, and they will grow like crazy. Normally impatiens need lots of water and prefer the shade, but if you plant them IN the water, they are easy care plants and will thrive in any sun conditions.

I would recommend you scout out the locally owned garden centers. Find someone who loves to talk plants and pick their brains. Don't worry about what's a "pond plant" - most plants sold as pond plants are just plain old plants which will double and triple in price if you buy them at the pond store.

• User
    9 years ago

Frank,
    Now that's a beautiful pic!
    What a beautiful pond! I'm jealous! It's gorgeous!
    You are on the right track with the grasses you bought.
    The evergreens you have in the back of the pond, they will look nice, even in winter.
    I see you have intentions of installing a waterfall, it's gonna look awesome!
    Just for a heads up, Calla lilies are poisonus for fish.
    Most elephant ears are too, so you will have to sit them on a rock in the pond, up high enough so they ears don't hang in the water.
    You did a great job.
    I know how much work that is, and you will think it is worth it.
    My friend lives next door to you in PA, zone 6a, and she grows Louisanna Iris, the black one, it comes back, she has burning bush, then the Japanese Iris, (my favorite) is outstanding next to a pond. They get big, but boy they are wonderful!
    Some people plant bog plants by digging a hole, laying down a piece of tarp they have cut some holes in for draining, filing back up with soil (you can't really see the tarp), and planting plants that love water next to their pond that way. You could do that where you ahve your stones, just refill with soil and stones.
    The plants take off, and it holds the mositure well, so you don't have to water every day,
    Pat yourself on the back, you are going to love it!

• heather_on
    9 years ago

I really like the shed right where it is. It adds vertical height. It would just add one or more skinny tall evergreen beside it. Maybe all along the back fence and some tall grasses on the left side of the shed. I love your pond. I hope you share pictures next year.

• lmjk1221
    9 years ago

I've never heard that elephant ears are poisonous to fish. I've grown them in my big pond and my patio pond for several years without a problem.