Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hardin_gw

Plan of next pond....thoughts? (long)

hardin
12 years ago

I am only in the planning stages of my next pond and most likely it will be a year or more before I can start on it. There are going to be some 'extras' on this pond that were not added to my current pond. I love my pond just as it is, so will just build another one. Keeping in mind that I am an amatuer plumber, I have tried to keep it as simple as I could while still hoping it will work. Some of the design principles go aganist much of what I have read, but for my yard and budget, I am hoping it will work.

Pond dimensions: 9 x 11 x 3.5 feet deep, approx. 2600 gallons, straight sides with no shelves but coping around all sides for rock to hide liner. It will be almost rectangular but with the corners curved to help flow. The long edge (11 feet) of the pond will be on the north and south sides of the pond. The bottom will be sloped toward the BD.

Bog/Waterfall Combo: The bog will be on the north side of the pond, about 15% of the pond. Bog will be fed through a PVC grid in the bottom and filled with gravel and planted. The bog will be about 12-18" deep, depending on a few factors. It will raised above pond level, almost like an upper pond. Between the bog and pond itself, there will be a barrier built from rocks and will have a waterfall rock to flow water to the pond.

I am planning to have 2 separate circuits. Circuit #1 is simpler and #2 is more complicated.

Circuit #1 will be a Laguna PowerFlo 5000 skimmer > pump > to 2 TPR's flowing into pond from the south wall of pond, one on each side of the skimmer which will be in the middle. This circuit is on the south edge of pond.

Circuit #2 will be gravity fed from a 3" aerated BD > SC with static basket > external pump > split to one GPR and the bog. The GPR will go thru the pond wall underneath the bog in the middle on the north side straight across from the skimmer. The filter pit for SC and pump and air pump will be east of the pond. The BD will be in the center of the pond bottom.

A few questions (of which there are many):

1) As you can see, I don't have a bio filter after the SC. Is that okay as I will have the bog? I am hoping to get my hands on a 275 gallon poly tank for the SC. Is that big enough to help slow the water enough so solids can settle out? There will be a static filter inside of the SC to help trap smaller debris.

2) As for ball and knife valves, I know balls are used to control flow and knives are used to shut flow on and off for maintenance. But where exactly would I put them and how many would I need?

3) How much flow would I need thru TPR's to help circulate water around the BD? How much flow to GPR? I know these can be fine-tuned using ball valves but what would be optimal?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome. Thanks for reading.

Vickie

Comments (4)