Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jalal_gw

Fish are inside winter's coming....

jalal
13 years ago

Brought my fish inside yesterday. Their water temperature was 40F so they were pretty easy to catch. I always pump pond water directly into their indoor pond (300 gals) then catch the fish and bring them in at the same time. That way there's no temperature shock as it takes the water several days to warm up to warm up to room temperature. The fish didn't take long but draining the filters, removing pumps etc did as usual. So today I get to put my leaky hip waders on to lift the lilies and trim them back. We're expecting a long cold winter--it's only 41F now and snow expected this winter. The joys of living in a cold climate. Happy ponding y'all. Patti

Comments (5)

• sheepco
    13 years ago

We've been enjoying a solid month of exceptionally nice weather so I've been putting off that leaky hip wader job! Now that it's going to be cold and rainy this weekend I guess I'd better get to it. Suppose to snow next Wednesday. Got a new wet/dry vac so I'm going to try vacuuming the leaves out...that should be fun in the rain :)

But tonight when I got home from work it was actually 62F so I threw on a jacket and sat by the pond watching the fish laze around, listening to the water and watched the full moon rise :) One last hurrah.

Stay warm! S

• maryo_nh
    13 years ago

Our water was 45 degrees today. I had to change the batteries of the thermometer to find out, of course... My upcoming leaky wader project is lifting half of the lilies, trimming etc, and bringing them in XL plastic tubs to the natural pond we're going to move to. I have already pushed the prettiest colored ones to the sides, so it shouldn't be too hard to reach them. But so hard to lift them out...

All I have to do now is find them waders!

• lisa11310
    13 years ago

DONT say the "S" word over there across the big pond in MN Sheepco cause your snow just blows over here and gathers more steam over the big lake UUUUGGGGG. Im not ready to close up my pond yet!

• goodkarma_
    13 years ago

Nice to know your fish are nice and snug for the winter Patti. My guys will have to gut it out thru the cold months. The good thing is this year I have been able to feed them an extra month with the warmer temps. So they might only fast for 5 months this year instead of 6.

Do you feed your guys thru the winter inside?

Lisa

• sheepco
    13 years ago

Our big winds come from the Dakotas! Wednesday night I came home from work to find the 50-60 mph winds had dumped 6 patio chairs and a wrought iron table into my 2 ponds (new fish obstacle course....if they weren't going dormant), the BBQ grill was blown off the deck into the herb garden and it's canvas cover was 100 yds away in the ditch. Still haven't found 1 of my garbage cans....I'll check the next section (mile) this weekend :o) 4.5" of rain Saturday thru Wednesday, but the snow didn't amount to anything here. "Up north" they had 4-8"

So THIS weekend i'll finish putting the pond to bed for the winter. Supposed to be in the 50's. Leaky waders and new shop vac here I come!

S