Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilly316

Deperately need help

Lily316
11 years ago

Hurricane Sandy will be right over us in a day or two . This is the storm of the century and officials have said we will be without power for days or maybe weeks. I have two koi ponds, and no generator. They are all sold out. 18 months ago we had a storm which knocked out out power and I lost four big koi in a matter of hours with out the oxygenation. I feel so helpless. My ponds have been so good this year, fish all healthy and ponds clear as a bell. We have a waterfall in the big pond with UV filter going and just a pump in the small one. What can and should I do to save my fish? They are like pets to me. I am so stressed out. Any help or suggestions please?

Comments (6)

• sleeplessinftwayne
    11 years ago

There are battery powered and solar powered bubblers available but I can't swear to their efficiency. A small amount of oxygen could be added by use of spraying water. The finer spray the better but it would take a lot of water for small return. Hydrogen peroxide will add oxygen to the water without hurting the fish. It also gets rid of most string algae. Anything that moves the water will help. Battery operated pumps are available. Sorry, I can't recommend brands.

There are devices that measure oxygen content. You might want to locate one. Some people have run water wheels with a small windmill. Now I am getting desperate. Good luck.

• Lily316
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks, Sleepless. Solar powered bubblers won't work since the sun won't be out. I guess I'll try to add water by misting in some of our town water. We have a old well and we use that for the pond but with no power we cannot. Our town water has additives but I'm desperate. Thanks for your suggestions.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    11 years ago

Lily, the more splash the better. A little trick I learned is to punch a 1/4 to 5/16 inch hole in a hose like a syphon and insert a tube with the inserted end pointed toward the output end of the hose. As the water passes the straw it sucks in air. As the air goes through the rest of the hose it creates turbulence that increases the oxygen content of the water by breaking up the air from the tube suspending it as bubbles.

• Mike56
    11 years ago

Last Oct here in NJ we were without power for 8 days due to the heavy early snow storm. I am in the country so we had no water or anything else.

I kept my KOI alive with a 5 gallon bucket by dunking it into the pond and pouring it back into the pond about 5 times a day. Its a pain but the more times you do it while you are out at the pond the better. 3-4 buckets each time x 5 times per day. I lost no fish.

This year I have a small generator.

• sleeplessinftwayne
    11 years ago

I don't know why I didn't remember this since I have two of them but Hyponex sells an inline siphon for mixing fertilizer and such. It is brass and the tubing is rubber. It has a spring device on the end to act as a filter. I have had mine for years and it works very well. If you don't stick the free end in a solution it sucks air but remove the spring to get more air. I checked to see if it is still sold and it has several listings for different companies. They all look just like mine. Dramm has a model too but the style is different.Decent water pressure is necessary.

See the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Inline siphon

• Mike56
    11 years ago

lily316, So how did you make out in the storm? Ihad to endure 10 days with no electricity or well water. Not so bad compaired to my nieghbors with trees on their homes.

My fishall servived :-)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES