Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Emptying and covering stocktanks for winter

Posted by catherinet 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 13:53

I have several 300 gallon above-ground Rubbermaid stocktank ponds. Ever since I left them drained, but upright......and they filled with rain and snow and cracked, I've been turning them over for the winter. But....I was thinking.......I could just empty them (and spend hours trying to save all the tadpoles :)) and cover them with a tarp. I would put some 2x4's over the stocktank, to hold up the tarp. I would have to make sure that water/ice/snow doesn't accumulate on top and pull the tarps down though.

I just don't want to turn them over every Fall and Spring, because they seem to be easily cracked if twisted too often.

Any suggestions?
What do those of you in this situation do?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Emptying and covering stocktanks for winter

I got one of those heating cables sold for gutters and just tossed into a similar tank with some comets and this got me through a couple of winters without incident. Our temperatures often get below 20 but rarely stay below 20 all day.

o

Hey there. People with above ground pools have a problem with expansion and contraction too. Their solution is to keep the water in the pool and float an inflated pillow or inner tube that keeps a hole open for expansion and contraction that could otherwise cause damage. The floater must be anchored so it is partially underwater and partially above water so it does not just wind up on top of the ice. I understand there are other tricks that work too.

o

Thanks albert and Sandy!

o

Well, I tried several ways of elevating the tarps on the stocktank, so that water/snow would drain off well, but nothing worked. So DH helped me turn them over..........what I probably should have done at the start.
I already have a heater in 2 in-ground stocktanks for the winter, and can't do any more.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here