Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vieja_gw

let water hyacinth die/freeze? Corkscrew Rush?

vieja_gw
13 years ago

I hate to let the water hyacinth freeze & die here in zone 7 & I think I read somewhere here that someone was going to put the plants in a container of wet mud over winter where it won't freeze... anyone tried this? I really don't have a sunny or light place out of the frost to keep this but will try the garage! We got our first killing frost Nov. 26 that took the garden stuff but pomegranate & fig trees still have green leaves!

Can I sink the Corkscrew Rush to the bottom as I do the water lilies in the Fall or will it die being completely under water? I hate to see the pond plants that have done so well this year to die & have to start over again $$$ !

Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments (8)

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

My corkscrew rush survived just fine last winter getting frozen solid. Last fall I had put the corkscrew rush and bloody dock in a plastic container with water with the intention of sinking the plants in the dirt. I became ill and everything froze up before I was well enough to get to it and other yard chores. I was very surprised when the snow melted to find the rush and bloody dock in fine shape, frozen into the container of ice.

So, based on that I would suggest either just leave them where they are or bury the pot in the dirt. That's what I'm going to do this weekend when I shut down the skippy filter where the rush and bloody dock have joyfully lived all summer.

I wish I could keep my WH too. I might try with one or two again but don't have the space for more.

Anne

• vieja_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

wow... I then have hopes for the Corkscrew Rush & you are in zone 4... much colder than my zone 7! I today just clipped off all the pond lily stems & sunk the Rush so hope I have as good luck as you did! This summer when I had the Rush just partially submerged it did fine but when I tried to sink it the stems got soft so guess it did better with the stems at least above the water. So hard to see the surface pond plants not survive the winter & have to start fresh again in the Spring ... & $$$ too!

• pondmaninal
    13 years ago

My friend in Missouri uses the water hyacinth method that you read about and has water hyacinths in the Spring. She keeps hers in her basement under shop lights.

• sheepco
    13 years ago

I'm not so sure corkscrew rush likes to be totally submerged. That hasn't worked for me in the past. This year I'm leaving mine partially submerged - the tops will freeze, but not the roots. I have read that you should only cut off dead stems. Depending on variety they are hardy to zone 5.

Water hyacinth are tropical - they like light and warmth. Pretty tough to overwinter but it's worth a try :)

Best of luck! S

• turnerwaterscaping
    13 years ago

All rushes,iries, cattails, bamboo etc need to stay on your shallow shelfs. These plants "breathe" thru their stems so submerging them will kill them. Hyacinths are tropical and not really worth tryn to save. You can buy 2 plants and withn a month you could be overrun with them. However if you do wanna try just get a try or bin of water and float them them n it. Grow lights will be needed if you do not have a sunny location. Also make sure you give them a tablespoon of liquid miracile grow probaly once a week.

• sdavis
    13 years ago

On the off chance wintering them don't turn out so well, for a buck apiece on ebay, it may be easier to start off with fresh plants than go to the trouble of wintering them providing high levels of humidity, light and heat

• albert_135   39.17°N 119.76°W 4695ft.
    13 years ago

At what time of year or temperature of water do you buy new ones in the spring?

• ponderpaul
    13 years ago

After all possibilty of a hard frost.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio