Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tamtrible

Any tips on using produce to grow plants (esp. pond plants) in AZ

tamtrible
12 years ago

I live in central Arizona. I have a small garden, and will eventually have a small pond/water garden (maybe 500 gallons, and 17" deep). It will (probably) be mostly in the sun, with the attached bog area mostly in the shade (it's a small yard on the north side of my condo, and the roof shades most of it).

I like growing things I can (at least theoretically) eat, and... well, I'm very frugal. So, I'm wondering if anyone has tips, success stories, or instructive failures for growing plants from grocery-store produce, seeds sold as food, or other things likely to be cheaper than little packets of seed-sold-as-seed. I'm particularly interested in taro (for the bog portion of my water garden), lotus (for the non-bog portion of my water garden), and sweet potato (probably for the bog, though if it'd grow in the pond...), though if ginger will grow, that'd be nice too.

I'm also interested in any advice on what grocery-sourced plants would tend to grow well in general in Arizona--hotter-than-[bleep] summers, dry air, alkaline soil, and, well, drought tolerance would be good, I don't always remember to water things as often as I should.

If it helps, I have a large Asian market near my house, so I can get some items that might be "exotics" at a normal grocery store.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida