Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I add new pond fish in October?

Posted by skndeep 7 VA (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 12, 12 at 15:54

A heron decimated my fish population. I have two ponds, 3000gal and 1000gal. I keep the pumps running all winter. Can I (should I) add more fish now (cheap comets, shubunkin and koi from PetSmart, Walmart, etc), or wait till spring?
Central Virginia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I add new pond fish in October?

You might be able to get them to survive but I wouldn't spend too much if all you want is an occasional sighting.I would wait to add koi. Conditioning is not going to be easy on them at this time of year in zone 5. What is your anticipated weather in zone 7?

o

Sorry for your fish losses. I know how devistating that is.
If it was me, I would wait till spring and get the fish from a local pond/fish place. Cheap fish of unknown health, from a indoor warm enviroment, going into a cold pond may just give you a pond of dead fish come spring.

Other things to concider are; If you have a heron, he will be back for more fish this year. If he comes back and finds no fish, he will take your pond off his list and look for a new dinner table. Also if you add fish now you likely wont see them till spring anyway.

Mike

o

Dont most fish come from Florida? I wouldn't.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here