Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tizzylizzyloo

To Medicate or salt going into winter?

tizzylizzyloo
13 years ago

Im perplexed if I should medicate with Tetra ponds fish treatment or just salt like I always do going into my PA winter.

Reason being, I had lost a koi this midspring, not sure by what, he had sunken in eyes, I medicated the whole pond with this treatment and he didnt survive anyway, I think he was too far gone by the time I noticed what was wrong.

Anyway, all the other fish survived, dont seem to show any problem of disease going into winter, but was wondering if anyone pretreats their fish with meds as a precaution, or do you just salt like Ive been doing over the past 10 years?

Im worried because of the formaldehyde in the product, and a company who sells it says its not good for invertebrates, which all my 10 wonderful frogs might be in the bottom of my pond right now and I dont want to hurt them either...

I so dont know what to do and hope I can get some opinions from everyone...no meds or meds...or just keep salt...dont want to lose anymore fish...Ive lost at least one fish every spring for the last 4 years...

HELP!

Thanks!

tizzylizzyloo

Comment (1)