Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sid23_gw

Wintering my Anacharis

Sid23
12 years ago

I am going to try to over winter my Anacharis plants from my pond indoors in a tank this winter. There will not be any fish with the plants so I imagine I will have to fertilize. With what and how much do I fertilize?

Comments (8)

• troy_l
    12 years ago

Thought I would just post to let you know that Anacharis can not be kept under normal aquaruim lights. Its going to take a bright daylight bulb to do this. I have 40watts over a 18 nano that I have it it was not bright enough with small tropical fish. I was told by a friend that I need to get T8's, VHO or metal Haildes to keep it alive for long periods of time. All mentioned lights are quite exspensice to buy.

Troy

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

What climate zone are you in? In many, it does not require protection...

in low light aquariums it sheds it's leaves and makes a real mess....

• Sid23
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Zone 3. My pond freezes solid. I am trying to avoid buying new plants every year. Figured I have nothing to lose if I try. Need to know what to feed them to give them a shot. I currently have them in an aquarium with aerator.

• buyorsell888
    12 years ago

Light is more necessary than fertilizer.

• kalevi
    12 years ago

I have had aquariums for many years. I have successfully grown anacharis with incandescents in aquariums that are close to east or north facing windows that are not shaded. If you have a south or west facing window you will get an algae bloom. Aquarium stores sell plant fertilizer. Make sure you get one with iron as iron is very important. If you have a modern florescent canopy with double high intensity bulbs, you should have enough light. Stick a couple of guppies in there too if you want some activity.

• sdavis
    12 years ago

Topping up the aquarium will probably be adequate to provide fertility through Winter.

Any fertiliser would be pot luck if it works, algae takes up crude fertiliser quicker and may end up smothering the plants.

Should the anacharis grow too fast, that may choke the aquarium and cause water quality to deteriorate.

Anacharis copes well with a low fertility stasis, thats a favourable way to go, clear water, anacharis hogging the aquarium waiting for Summer

• kalevi
    12 years ago

My city water is too clean so I need to add the iron based fertilizer + trace minerals to keep my plants growing in my aquariums. The only fertilizers you need are iron, some of the trace elements, and potassium. Any nitrogen or phosphorous will give you a huge algae bloom. The fish poop provides the N and P. If your plants aren't growing due to lack of Fe, K, or other traces elements, the algae will be the only thing that grows to use up the N and P.

• Sid23
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! Have pretty good well water, seems quite full of Iron to taste so hopefully that will help!