Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water garden in ceramic pot

Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 12, 09 at 16:36

I've had a water garden in a ceramic pot for about 3 years. There's always been some problem.
-raccoons, pump problems, plant problems, algae problems.

This season, it's algae, big time. Stringy algae like underwater green spider webs, and bubbly algae that looks like floating fish eggs. I've been using some water treatment for algae control, but it does not seem to have had much effect.

I cleaned the pump last week, scooped out as much algae as I could, added a lot of fresh water. The algae really liked that, it multiplied really fast!

Suggestions to control the algae?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water garden in ceramic pot

Scoop with a toilet bowl brush. Don't use the chemicals . Your water garden in a pot has to cycle just like a large pond. Sandy

o

I stumbled on a fix for string algae this year that worked well. I was using horticultural corn meal for fungus issues in my lawn and on the bag, among the other uses, string algae in ornamental ponds was listed. I tossed half a handful into my 110 gallon container that was a string algae nightmare and within a month or so, it was gone. Certainly not an overnight fix and the real test will be the cooler temps of the winter, but it did seem to work.

Pam

o

But in a month, it could have gone away by itself.

o

Thanks for your feedback, maybe it would have gone away by itself. It is still working and I believe it helped. I have used the pull and toss method for years and haven't had to do that for months.

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 14, 09 at 23:48

I'm willing to try both suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes.

o

Cleaning and adding fresh water just feeds more algae as you learned. It is hard to resist doing it but it is for the best.

o

One thing that has worked for me is hydrogen peroxide. It's effective on string algae but not the free floating type.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here