Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pennywort war

Posted by koijoyii NE Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 17, 10 at 16:41

Now I know what not to plant in my floating planters. It looked beautiful when I left for vacation last month. We were gone for ten days and I came back to this.

Photobucket

Photobucket

It sure looked pretty and my water was crystal clear. In preparation for winter I started pulling it out and it was like pulling taffy. All of my floating planters were woven together by the pennywort roots. When I tried to pull them apart the roots destroyed the furnace filter floating planters. This stuff had grown between the rocks on the edge of the pond. I had to lift the rocks and pull back the folded over liner to get to the roots. I hope I got all the roots. Is pennywort an annual, is it hardy? If it's hardy I may be in big trouble next year.

Here is what it looks like after I cleaned it out. I swear I pulled 100 lbs. or more of the stuff out. I filled four huge garbage cans. The green on the right side of the pond is watercress. It is much more compatible in the pond. I will get to that next week.

Photobucket

Jenny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pennywort war

All I can say is Wow!

I've been waging war with it in my stream, but I've never seen it multiply THAT fast! Your stuff looks like its on steroids, LOL!

I'm considering getting rid of all my pennywort also. Too hard to stay on top of to keep it thinned.

o

I pulled out what little I had last summer, but must have left a bit of root somewhere. This summer I had a little bit of it pop up. So here in Oklahoma,Zone 7, it must be hardy. Hope I don't have a population explosion like that, although its roots do help clear up the water.

o

Oh my!! Good information to have! Sure is true that a picture is worth a thousand words :)

A quick google shows that depending on the variety they can be hardy up to zone 5 and are considered a nuisance in the warmer climates. I hope yours isn't.

Bet the fish were glad you got home to save them from the beast!

o

I have giant pennywort and it's not that bad here in Alabama.

o

Awesome! That is what a few pounds of fish food each day will do for your plants......thanks to your neighbor. lol But seriously that really is awesome albeit a lot of work. I hope I can get some of your pennywort for next year. Could just put it in the settling pond. It does look beautiful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here