Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
watercress root mat

Posted by koijoyii NE Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 24, 10 at 19:06

I tried to take the rest of the watercress out of the pond today and found a mat of roots. I didn't know the roots would be so thick. No wonder the frogs love it. As a matter of fact I had to stop when my frogs were looking at me with their sad little eyes wondering why I was destroying their habitat. Guess I'll just have to wait till they go into hibernation. I may need a machete by then. The watercress wasn't planted in anything I just threw it into the shallow area of the pond. Wonder what the watercress growing down my waterfall is going to be like to remove. Here are some pics.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Jenny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: watercress root mat

Awww....those sad little eyes. They would be grateful if they knew a lot of that would rot over the winter and make their home a mess. My watercress died back in August and is very low and detaches easy. Looks like you were a busy gal today. Probally sleeping good tonight after all that work.

I worked on the pond islands on Saturday and they are mostly squared away. The pond looks so much barer now. Fish are still eating and the pond is pretty clean because the dry weather has kept the leaves on the pond netting from decaying and falling into the pond. I was able to remove most of them off the netting twice this season. I ordered a new pump for the skimmer for winter. We have been blessed with a warm fall. I have been feeding the fish at dark before work and they eat the food. It is cool to see flashes of color in the dark as they come when I call them, and I can just make out their shapes eating the food. Really get a kick out of that. Your pond pics are really great. Loved the Pennywort pics.

o
RE: watercress root mat

Jenny, what DID you put in the water this year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here