Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fountain pump will not restart when plugged back in

Posted by budnorth none (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 1:45

I have a 100 gallon water feature. Water pump will not work when it has been unplugged and then power restored. Is this typical? Do pumps get an air lock when they are turned off?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fountain pump will not restart when plugged back in

Since you didn't mention if this is a one-time happening, it may go without saying, but I will anyway. Do you still have electricity going to your outlet? Could a fuse have blown?

I can address only problems that have arisen with my magnetic PondMaster pump. One time debris was been sucked in when the hose from the pre filter came loose. I removed the offending plant and the pump worked fine. Another time I discovered that the housing that held the impeller in place was cracked. I replaced the housing and the pump worked fine.

Do you have a pre-filter? If so, it is possible that is plugged with gunk and water can't pass through.

The final comment is that it could be that the pump just has worn out. I don't think the magnetic kind do, but others might.

I hope this helps. If not, perhaps someone else can chime in with suggestions. Good Luck.

o

We've an outlet in the house with a little button that must be reset whenever outside power quits. Called GFIsomething, I think.

o

I have a pump that won't restart after being turned off or if the power goes off and if I thump it on the side of the pond it starts up. It is a mag drive and just has this quirk.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here