Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I have a problem...we're moving

Posted by nuevomex 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 8, 13 at 6:32

We have sold our house and are going to full time in our motorhome. We have a 1000 gallon 4 ft deep pond with 7 koi and a waterfall/filter system. Winter is coming on and we don't close until January. The buyers do not want to worry about the pond this winter, they live in Georgia, I live in northern New Mexico.

So, do I give the fish away (they are 12-14"), sell them? And is it safe to do so in the middle of the winter? And what about the pond? Do I drain it? Or could I leave the water in and take out the pump? Just really in a quandry about this.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated. Thanks, Susie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I have a problem...we're moving

Hi Susie, sorry that you are losing your pond. Water temp. in the northern states are dipping down. I don't know what your water temp. is but transferring a fish to a new home at any time is stressful for the fish.
I would find out the buyers thoughts for the pond and if they wish to keep it. If not, look to local koi clubs or friends with ponds. I did a quick search, found Sante Fe Koi and Pond Society. Hope this helps..Craig

o
Check what they think they're buying

Susie, I'm no expert on koi, but I know some cautionary tales about home-buying. Before deciding whether to give away the koi, perhaps check with the buyers (and agents) to be clear about what the buyers think they're getting in the sale. If they expect seven beautiful Koi to come with the house, there could be problems later (even if you gave the fish away to save their lives). These details are often written into the sale contract so it's clear to everyone involved.

o
RE: I have a problem...we're moving

You could post them for sale on Craigslist in your area.. I know in my area the koi sell very fast.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here