Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
keep snow off of pond de icer

Posted by gdnh 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 22, 12 at 7:36

I live in Mass potentially heavy snow. I purchased a thermo pond de icer keeping a hole in pond for gas exchange but what about if heavy snow at nite do I trek out there at midnite to clear off snow? Thinking of some kind of cover for the de icer? Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: keep snow off of pond de icer

• Posted by kalevi 4 Ottawa, ON (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 22, 12 at 10:27

I used ABS pipe to make a frame and covered it with plastic sheeting. Make it triangular to allow the snow to slide off.

o
RE: keep snow off of pond de icer

If you only want to keep the area around the deicer melted, make a cover from an appropriately sized Roughneck container attached to a slab of Styrofoam. The top edge of the container should be inserted through a hole in the Styrofoam. You can use Greatstuff foam to seal the two together. Float the container upside down,sort of like the Monitor(sometimes referred to as a cheesebox on a raft) from the Civil war. The foam collar should be at least 4 to 6 inches wide all around. This stabilizes the container. Even if the contraption is sealed in with snow and ice the interior will be mostly ice free. Any snow on top will melt.

This is the basic form of the homemade lightbulb deicer which is cheaper to run than most deicers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here