Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feeding my Goldies NOW!

Posted by mondotomhead Sturbridge, MA (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 4, 09 at 7:44

Hi Everyone,

I've been reading alot of wintering questions regarding goldies. Some say to stop feeding them when the water gets below 55 degrees. Since the water is that cold I had stopped feeding them. Well, last Saturday, it was beautiful (for here anyways!) and sunny and of course I sat at the pond watching my fishies. They seemed a little agitated so I went to get the goldfish flakes. I put a few flakes in and they went crazy trying to get some. They appeared to be starving! They ended up getting alot to eat. You know what little beggars they can be.

Now I'm wondering if I should keep feeding them. What do you guys think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feeding my Goldies NOW!

• Posted by donaldb 5B Worcester, MA (My Page) on
    Wed, Nov 4, 09 at 10:38

Greetings, as you can see I'm up the "road" from you. Sounds like the fish have you wrapped around their fins. Trust me they will not starve. I've had fish for the past 8 years and when the water temp drops below 50 thats it. There's plenty in your pond for them to nibble on and they won't starve. Exercise some self control and they'll all be there to greet you in the spring. Stay warm this winter.

o

Hi donaldb,

I am very close to you. Actually, I live in Charlton which is next door to Sturbridge but I get blank stares when I tell someone what town I live in. People sort of know where Sturbridge is.

Yes, the fishies do have me wrapped around thier fins- hahaha. I will try that self-control you mentioned. The operative word is "try". When they swim up to me with thier little mouths opening I don't know how I'll be able to deny them. I guess I'll just have to walk away...quickly!

o

I have never fed my goldfish and they are perfectly happy. They are growing like anything. But we have lots of plants and probably plenty of little insects (?), and we don't have winters, at least not like the rest of you do.

o

What happens if you feed them when the water is below 55? I haven't fed mine all summer, but I am feeding them now. I like to see them. I have lots of different colored babies; they hide when I come near. Since I started feeding they come to the top and I love watching them.

o

I was wondering that too, helenh.

(and I can see I spelled the word "their" wrong twice in my above post! It must of been to early in the morning to be typing questions.)

o

Beneficial bacteria is active during the summer season. The bacteria helps balance a pond by reducing waste produced by fish. Once the temperature drops below 50 degrees, the bacteria activity is significantly reduced and the waste caused by feeding fish can create unhealthy conditions in a pond.

o

Thanks for the info, johnkr.

o

Yes, thanks johnkr. That makes sense to me now. I'll just have to leave the fish flakes in the house when I go out to check up on them.

o

It's the bacteria in their stomachs that stops working at colder temps, they can't digest the food properly.
Bubba

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here