Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
koijoyii

My blood, sweat and tears (literally)

koijoyii
13 years ago

Well the watercress got me again. Since Saturday was close to 70ð I was going to finish winterizing my pond. I was able to pull the mat of watercress out of the large pond and trim down my cat tails and sink some of the other plants to the bottom. After completing this task I moved to the watercress in the skippy filter. I managed to pull most of it out and remove the filtration material. I still had some of the watercress to go. I grabbed a big handful and gave a huge pull and all of a sudden my middle finger of my left hand was gashed open. I really blessed my pond with bloodshed because I couldn't stop the bleeding. I cupped my hand and ran around the settlement pond thru the side door (of course I had to dig the keys out of my pocket to unlock it.) I ended up with a huge "s" shaped gash across my finger almost in the joint. Probably should have went to the emergency room for stitches but didn't want the $50 co-pay. I doused it with peroxide to stop infection but had a problem stopping the bleeding. I did get it to slow down and eventually stop, but I had to change the bandages often and keep my hand elevated. I made a makeshift splint with a popsicle stick so I wouldn't keep bending it, because that's what started it bleeding after I got it to stop. I looked all around the skippy filter yesterday and can't see what cut me, so I am assuming it was the watercress. Needless to say my pond is not ready for winter yet. The filter and skimmer is off and there are no pumps for areation. I did manage to pull, rinse and store the pumps beforehand. I don't want to put my finger in the water with an open cut. Hopefully I can tackle it next week when I am on vacation. I still have to drain my settlement pond to remove the fry that I found there after I pulled out the wh and wl (surprise). I need to move the fry from the top pond into the big pond, and trim the leaves from my water lilies, and relocate the frogs in the skippy filter to the pond (they love to live in the skippy.)

I really worked up a sweat before cutting my finger. Then I bled into the pond and the ground around it, now my tears because it still isn't ready for winter. Ponds! You can't live with them, and you can't live without them.

Jenny

Comments (5)

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

Next time....wear gloves!! That must have been really scary. I have gotten cut pulling bird netting out of filters for cleaning. That stuff is thin and does not give when it gets hung up on something....but skin does.

I had quite a scare on Saturday too. I was cutting PVC pipe with a chop saw, something I have done a million time in the past. Well, this time I was not holding the pipe quite good enough and as soon as the blade hit it, the saw snatched the pipe from me, slammed it into my hand and the pipe got launched about 15' feet away. The pain was intense and instant. For a moment, I was afraid to look at my hand, fearing I had lost a finger to the blade of the saw. Luckly no fingers were lost...thanks God for a GREAT instant blade break on that saw! I do have a horrible bruise right at my thumb joint, but nothing broke and I got a good reminder to respect that saw a little bit more.

Cindy

• koijoyii
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh no Cindy:

Glad nothing was broken. Funny thing is I had gloves on and they got soaked so I took them off. Dumb move on my part. I keep saying I'm going to order those gloves that go up to your shoulders..........maybe that'll be my Christmas present to myself.

Jenny

• annedickinson
    13 years ago

Gosh, you two need keepers!!! Glad you are both okay inspite Jenny's profuse blood loss and Cindy's internal bleeding.

It is amazing how quickly you can injure yourself.

Heal quickly and well,
    Anne

• flora2b
    13 years ago

I too had a mishap this summer with a tablesaw. It happened in the blink of an eye and with only me around I had to drive myself to the emergency....about 20 minutes. I sequestered my non-driving mother in law, who lives nearby, to keep me coherent, just in case. Luckily my fingers were still attached and I only needed 12 stitches. Geez I'm still mad at myself for being so stupid!
    What surprised me the most was finding out how many others could relate to tablesaw injuries.
    What we do for our gardens!!!
    Hope you heal quickly.
    Flora

• goodkarma_
    13 years ago

Jenny do you think it is possible you got cut from a fish spine? They can be very sharp. Hope you are on the mend today. I love your idea of getting yourself gloves for Christmas. I am thinking of getting a new net this year. Big spender that I am lol!

I worked on the pond all day today. Got the solar cover on and placed the new pump and old de-icer in. Hope things go very well this winter. If we have a couple more nice days when I am off I have some other things I would like to accomplish. We'll see. The last thing is to get the orange fencing around the ponds to keep the dogs and puppy out. Spring will be here before you know it! :)