Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
trailing pond plants?

Posted by LagunaPat CA 24 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 11:20

Hello all!
Newbie ponder here. 28G raised container in partial shade near coast in SoCal. No pump nor filter; no fish -maybe mosquito fish come Spring.

Setting up this weekend with some reeds and rushes and umbrellas from my sister's pond. Will purchase one dwarf lily. Sounds crowded already but thought I might squeeze in more if it trails over the sides up to a foot.

Creeping Jenny looks good; any other suggestions, please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: trailing pond plants?

LagunaPat,

Here are a few that I have in my pond that I really enjoy which might work for you:

Chameleon Flower (Houttuynia cordata) - Although it gets little white flowers, this plant is grown mostly for the leaves as they are green, cream and edged in red. Nice looking plant in my pond.

Variegated Water Celery (Oenanthe javanica ‘Flamingo’) - Grown for the foliage this white, light green and hints of pink foliage is also spreads across my stream, this plant can easily be pulled out if it gets too big and seems to filter/clean the water as it flows down the stream through its roots.

Moneywort (Bacopa monnieri) - Sprawling plant with green little leaves and tiny blue flowers.

Water Forget-Me-Not (Myosotis scorpioides) - This is a low growing plant that spreads out across my stream and provides me with gorgeous baby blue tiny flowers.

Your little pond sounds adorable. Good luck with searching for your plants.

o

Assuming you are planting within the pond and want it to trail over the sides, parrots feather is particularly well suited

o

Thanks LadyLotus; that is quite a list for me to work on!

And thanks SDavis, I didn't know parrots feather would do that; easy one to pick up.

I have waited for the heat of summer to be over and can't wait to get going now :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Ponds & Aquatic Plants Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here